Misanthropic Film Project - Help Needed
  • MisanthropicFilm
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Misanthropic Film Project - Help Needed

by MisanthropicFilm » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:45 am

Hi,

I'm an up and coming film maker in the midwest, and I'm baffled as to why people haven't either asked questions, comments or anything of the sort in our Kickstarter program if they do not want to invest or find something unappealing to them. I know we still have around 22 days left to fund, but at only raising $55 of $1000, it looks unlikely. Could some of you take a look at our page and figure out what is scaring off our potential investors? Our rewards are more than fair, we have a passion to make this film and our story is solid. What's missing?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hoo ... santhropic

https://www.facebook.com/MisanthropicFilm

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Misanthropic Film Project - Help Needed

by sbriggman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:40 pm

In my experience with blogging, generally if content doesn't resonate with someone, they don't take action. People will read a blog post or see a project and if they don't like it, click off the page. If something really upsets them, they will comment, but otherwise not.

Would recommend securing more than 2 backers, possibly by reaching out to friends and family. Most people should be able to convince at least 5 people in their own network to pledge at some tier of their campaign. I think you come off as genuine in your video, which is good. May want to add reward tiers that involve backers more in the outcome of the film/the finished product.

At the end of the day, take my suggestions with a grain of salt - the real advice should come from people who backed your campaign already (and why they did) or from people that are in your industry and care about this particular genre of film :)

Sal
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • MisanthropicFilm
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by MisanthropicFilm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:51 am

Unfortunately I've been in contact with friends and family, and they're all for "liking" the facebook page, but not helping to contribute financially. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the followers that we've gained and donations received, but the KS program is about helping a project get funded. I don't know, maybe I'm just asking too much of them. I really want to pull the plug on the KS, but some notion has me wondering what would happen if we actually see this thing through, maybe our luck will change. It is rather upsetting that when you see that very few have backed your project on KS but will like the FB page, it just makes me feel like maybe we didn't sell the passion we have for the project well enough.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:37 pm

What are their objections for a financial contribution? Have you also underscored that their card will not be charged if you don't reach your fundraising goal?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    inflexionUSA
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by inflexionUSA » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Hey Chris,

Here are some suggestions, perhaps you've tried them if so try again.

You've got to hustle and work it. Look at Spike Lee - that's what I mean by work it.

Most of all you have to get your "backers" to feel a part of your success, In other words, your success is their success.

Talk to people. Offer them a cameo in your film - people are vain.

You are in college - offer an english major, communications major, marketing major, PR major ... the ability to write a line or two for the film. Let them know writing credits to a successful KS project would be a cool addition to their resume.

Break you goal down into pieces - Today's goal $100 in backing. Get it done. You will be amazed how much easier this will be once you start to see your actions turning into pledges.

Go to a local business in your home town. Write their store front into a scene which will appear in the film. That can be a great cross promotion for them ... Local business helps local independent film makers fund Kickstarter film. They can even sell copies afterward.

Anyway, you get the idea. You guys are creative - go out get creative.

James
    James Wissel / inflexionUSA.com

Website http://inflexionusa.com
    Twitter inflexion@inflexionusa
    Email inflexion@inflexionUSA.com