Pledge Trolling – How to avoid & consequences ?
  • tweetious
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Pledge Trolling – How to avoid & consequences ?

by tweetious » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:59 am

I am thinking of starting my first Kickstarter campaign, and I have some questions.

Lets take the following hypothetical example. (values are just an indication)

Lets say that I have a campaign with funding goal 10K (10.000 $). 30 minutes before the campaign ends I have 50 backers, and the total funds are 1000 $. Then a “troll” comes and makes a pledge of 10.000$ (with a valid credit card). Campaign ends successfully funded, and kickstarter starts collecting the funds. The credit card of the 50 backers will be charged (and 1000$ funds will be collected). Concerning the trolling pledge, although the credit card is valid, the transaction will be declined (amount exceeds credit card limit).

Questions (according to the kickstarter terms & policies that I have to accept):

-Since the project is successfully funded, do I have to pay kickstarter fees for the total amount 11.000 $ ? (I think is around 5%)

-Do I have to pay kickstarter fees only for the amount that was collected (i.e. 1000$) ?

-The credit card of the 50 backers have already be charged. However with only the 1/10 of the funded amount, I am not able to successfully fund/create the project and also to fulfil my obligations to the backers. How this will be arranged?. Will Kickstarter cancel my project, and automatically return the money back to backers? Will I receive the funds from kickstarter and then I am responsible to return the money (via paypal or other mean) to the backers?

- Will I be charged credit card processing fees 2-3% for the 50 backers?

Does anyone have similar experience to tell me how similar examples are being handled.

Thanks in advance