The 7 Habits of Highly Ineffective Alibaba Sourcing
  • MattBnB
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

The 7 Habits of Highly Ineffective Alibaba Sourcing

by MattBnB » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Would love some advice and feedback on a new post on my site, Art of the Kickstart. What do you guys think? Is this kind of content actually helpful for you? I want to make my site as awesome as possible!
    http://artofthekickstart.com/7-habits-h ... -sourcing/

Successful Kickstarter inventors share their secrets...
    Check out Art of the Kickstart .... http://artofthekickstart.com
    gear-wise
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: The 7 Habits of Highly Ineffective Alibaba Sourcing

by gear-wise » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:13 am

Hi Matt,

My name is Kirk Iwasaki, I just started listening to your Podcasts on my way to and from work. Thank you for all of your great advice! Im getting ready to launch a Kickstarter Campaign shortly and I want to make sure I do it right!

By profession I am a product developer for an educational materials company and we deal a lot with vendors, both OEM and sourcing. Ive also worked with vendors from both Alibaba and Aliexpress for smaller personal projects (ie. wedding decor/gifts, and quoting early stages of what is soon to become my kickstarter project).

After scanning through your Alibaba post, i feel like most of the information you put on there is good solid information for those new to the vendor world. The tips about MOQ's and sampling is key in my mind!

Not sure if you want to include this, or if it falls outside of the message you are trying to get across...but something i learned is that working with multiple vendors at the same time can offer 2 you things, 1- a "2nd opinion" on costs to make extra sure your costs arent being hiked by 1 vendor...
    and 2- possible help troubleshooting production issues upfront. Some vendors may be more willing to problem solve with you than others, but they may give you hints on ways to cut costs in labor or materials that you can take to other vendors when negotiating.

And yes, CNY sucks...as well as golden week...and that random holiday that seems to "conveniently" fall JUST when you need a critical answer from your vendor...

Obviously there are TONS of things to talk about when working with Alibaba and vendors in general, but i just thought id throw in my 2 cents =)

Keep up the great work!
    Thanks and best regards,
    Kirk

ps. typo under the buying blind section (i think you meant Cash, not ash?)
  • MattBnB
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by MattBnB » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:09 pm

Hey Kirk,

Thanks for an actually incredible response...usually never get something so insightful as response to article.

what is your campaign?

thanks man. i will definitely add those when i get around to them. actually did a whole podcast interview today on sourcing products in china so that will be coming out soon as well.

Cheers and good luck.

Matt
    Successful Kickstarter inventors share their secrets...
    Check out Art of the Kickstart .... http://artofthekickstart.com
    gear-wise
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by gear-wise » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:06 am

Thanks Matt! Glad you enjoyed my feedback. Im looking forward to hearing the podcast.
  • andrew212
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by andrew212 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:10 am

Permit me to present our company here as an alternative way rather than Alibaba if you looking at apparel or textile products.
    Apparel Empire - we're an apparel manufacturing company in Singapore. We welcome all kickstarter/ crowdfunding campaigns or startup business who want to develop their prototypes or bulk production. For all product developments are free as long as you give us your orders at the end.
    Email me if you're interested: exclusively@aeempire.com.
    Thank you for your permission creator!
    Apparel Empire, an apparel manufacturer in Singapore. We're willing to handle any fashion development for your Kickstarter and crowdfunding projects. Check out our website: www.aeempire.com or drop me an email: exclusively@aeempire.com