Rockzip Highballoons! What are your thoughts?
  • mboix
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Rockzip Highballoons! What are your thoughts?

by mboix » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:03 pm

I am pleased to announce that our first Kickstarter campaign is up and running. Rockzip Highballoons

In a nutshell:

Rockzip's mission is to improve life on Earth by giving people a new angle from which to solve difficult problems. Our rugged and inexpensive highballoons (high-altitude balloons) will be flown by millions of students and entrepreneurs to create applications of all kinds to better Mother Earth and further human space exploration!

I would really appreciate if you could take a look at our campaign and offer some feedback

Link: http://kck.st/1sSGy6c

If you like it and want to spread the word, you can also visit our landing page: http://bit.ly/rockzip

Thank you in advance.

Martin & Team Rockzip

Do you want to help Rockzip to get thousands of Highballoons (high altitude balloons) in the hands of students and entrepreneurs? Get on board! Our Kickstarter is LIVE http://kck.st/1sSGy6c
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Rockzip Highballoons! What are your thoughts?

by Charles » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:33 pm

What are my thoughts?

Well, I think that I found your project by clicking on the link contained in your forum signature, here, before I found this actual thread announcing it.

I think that I love the concept. Just one question, though - What happens if an aircraft strikes one of them, or if one of them gets sucked into the engine of a jet? I know that people and organizations already launch high altitude balloons, and have for years on end. But, do you ever ponder what a proliferation of them by populations at large might mean?

Even still, it's a rock solid, fantabulous idea! More designs and some colorful designs on them would make for a more visually interesting project page, though. Have you considered applying some decals, to increase visual energy for this project?

How much would they cost, once produced? How much helium does it take to fill one, and how much is the cost of that helium, separate from the cost of the balloon. How much weight can one of your balloons lift?

Your going across the field to recover that one balloon, that's a priceless video. Show more images or videos of recovering them.

Have you considered doing a launch, inviting local media to join the Great Balloon Race of 2014 - where each media unit (TV station, radio station, newspaper, local bloggers, etc.), as well as anyone else that wants in on the fun (different categories - media, schools, classrooms, churches, youth groups, scout units, military units, etc.) (as well as individuals and families) participate in a mass launch - with the winner being the one whose balloon makes it the farthermost (or the closes, distance-wise, to a specific target picked beforehand? Get a couple of media units interested, and you'll gain LOTS of free advertising, I think. Radio stations often employ DJ hosts in teams. Basically, you create a scenario where one of those teams can claim bragging rights on something. Once you get one team signed up, that becomes your pitch to get others to sponsor or form their own balloon team.

This is the kind of Kickstarter project that makes me start looking for reasons to NOT support it, simply because the appeal to back it is so doggone strong, immediately upon grasping what the project portends.

Your project image serves its purpose, but visually speaking, it's not aesthetically appealing. But, it's getting the job done, so far. You're off to a great start, I think. This project is almost at one hundred backers (94, at the moment), and I think that that is when projects tend to start to develop real momentum, if they haven't, already.

Did I mention that your website sucks? No content of substance on it. Boo! Hiss! Hiss! Populate it with images and factoids. Get some photos of your helpers and people who are there when you recover the balloons, also. Get that man and woman from the bean field on your Kickstarter and website, just so that they have a reason to tell everyone that they know to visit your page, to check them out on it. That, to me, would create localized instances of buzz.

I hope that this project soars!

Normally, I don't care much about being listed in books or websites, for backing a project. I still don't. But, for your $5 pledge levels says the following: The earlier you pledge, the higher your name will be!

I just think that that is a VERY nice touch, it has inherent appeal, plus it fits with the theme of soaring high - in this instance, he who soars (pledges) first, soars highest (the higher up your name will be).

I also watched that video of that local television station covering your project.

You realize that I'm going to have to back this project, don't you?
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:35 pm

BAM!!

Done.

I'm aboard as a backer for this one.
  • futuristicideals
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by futuristicideals » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:44 am

Nice, seems really interesting!
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:35 am

Your ranking on this list will change, of course, but at the moment, your project is on the list at #40.

http://www.kickspy.com/top

Just noticed it while browsing, and thought that you might be interested.
  • mboix
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by mboix » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Charles,

Thank you very much for your feedback and for backing our project.
    I'll try to answer some of your comments...

I think that I love the concept. Just one question, though - What happens if an aircraft strikes one of them, or if one of them gets sucked into the engine of a jet? I know that people and organizations already launch high altitude balloons, and have for years on end. But, do you ever ponder what a proliferation of them by populations at large might mean?

As you said, high altitude balloons have been around for a long time, decades, and launching our own balloons is not going to increase this risks significantly, at least in the short term. Our main product that we are trying to mass produce flies 2-3 times higher than airplanes, and in the future, even higher. Nevertheless, we are planning on additional safety measures that minimize the chance and impact of these events moving forward.

Even still, it's a rock solid, fantabulous idea! More designs and some colorful designs on them would make for a more visually interesting project page, though. Have you considered applying some decals, to increase visual energy for this project?

I'll try to enhance some of the visuals, I can look into it.

How much would they cost, once produced? How much helium does it take to fill one, and how much is the cost of that helium, separate from the cost of the balloon. How much weight can one of your balloons lift?

The selling price is currently part of our Kickstarter rewards, so that should be the reference right now. Regarding helium, it varies depending on the balloon and %filled (you use different % for different purposes), we can give estimates privately, but don't think that it adds much value stating it explicitly in the story.

Your going across the field to recover that one balloon, that's a priceless video. Show more images or videos of recovering them.

We can look into adding some extra footage on recoveries, not a bad idea...

Have you considered doing a launch, inviting local media to join the Great Balloon Race of 2014 - where each media unit (TV station, radio station, newspaper, local bloggers, etc.), as well as anyone else that wants in on the fun (different categories - media, schools, classrooms, churches, youth groups, scout units, military units, etc.) (as well as individuals and families) participate in a mass launch - with the winner being the one whose balloon makes it the farthermost (or the closes, distance-wise, to a specific target picked beforehand? Get a couple of media units interested, and you'll gain LOTS of free advertising, I think. Radio stations often employ DJ hosts in teams. Basically, you create a scenario where one of those teams can claim bragging rights on something. Once you get one team signed up, that becomes your pitch to get others to sponsor or form their own balloon team.

This is definitely interesting, we could organize an event of this type and I see how it can be beneficial. After the Kickstarter is over we would be able to think on something like that.
    This is the kind of Kickstarter project that makes me start looking for reasons to NOT support it, simply because the appeal to back it is so doggone strong, immediately upon grasping what the project portends.

THANK YOU

Your project image serves its purpose, but visually speaking, it's not aesthetically appealing. But, it's getting the job done, so far. You're off to a great start, I think. This project is almost at one hundred backers (94, at the moment), and I think that that is when projects tend to start to develop real momentum, if they haven't, already.

We know visuals are very important, and we've been working on improving them. But we are no experts on graphic design and basically have limited manpower and resources. If we can enhance it, we will...

Did I mention that your website sucks? No content of substance on it. Boo! Hiss! Hiss! Populate it with images and factoids. Get some photos of your helpers and people who are there when you recover the balloons, also. Get that man and woman from the bean field on your Kickstarter and website, just so that they have a reason to tell everyone that they know to visit your page, to check them out on it. That, to me, would create localized instances of buzz.

This is something we actually did intentionally. We took off almost everything we had on our site and focused on driving people to our Kickstarter story (and we have some content on our Facebook page also). We could put some things back in, but doesn't it take attention away from our campaign?

And the couple from the bean field, they do not have internet, nor email, nothing! :(

I hope that this project soars!

Normally, I don't care much about being listed in books or websites, for backing a project. I still don't. But, for your $5 pledge levels says the following: The earlier you pledge, the higher your name will be!

I just think that that is a VERY nice touch, it has inherent appeal, plus it fits with the theme of soaring high - in this instance, he who soars (pledges) first, soars highest (the higher up your name will be).

I also watched that video of that local television station covering your project.

You realize that I'm going to have to back this project, don't you?

THANKS AGAIN!
    Do you want to help Rockzip to get thousands of Highballoons (high altitude balloons) in the hands of students and entrepreneurs? Get on board! Our Kickstarter is LIVE http://kck.st/1sSGy6c
  • rjosker
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by rjosker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:32 pm

I looked at balloons late last year and the prices for one was around $1,500. Decided on a DJI Phantom Drone for aerial video and pictures. Issue we had was flight time and altitude. I think your project is great but might be missing a big market in tethered aerial photography and video. I live on the shores of Lake Erie and the boat club was looking for something inexpensive, which your product is, to do aerial video of their boat races.

Is the Pro model strong enough to carry a GoPro? With a 1 lb payload I would guess yes.

Great Kickstarter campaign and product!
  • mboix
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by mboix » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:10 am

@rjosker

We have tested the Pro Highballoons with Contour Roam 2 Cameras, which are also lightweight cameras, no problems at all. Actually, I think they are even a little bit heavier than GoPros so there's no doubt you can attach one (or even multiple) cameras.