$28k Tips from 'Modern Medium: The Movie' on Kickstarter
    therriaultk
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

$28k Tips from 'Modern Medium: The Movie' on Kickstarter

by therriaultk » Fri May 30, 2014 3:27 am

Total Funded: $28,376
    Project URL: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mark10023/modern-medium-the-movie
    Project Description: Modern Mediums: The Movie aims to take an objective approach to producing a film that attempts to gain a deeper understanding of mediums. This talented team intends to include the perspectives of mediums, professors, and individuals recieving readings for the purpose of the film (which is also a reward!).

Today I spoke with the project's creator, Mark Stein, about his campaign and to get his advice on the Kickstarter process:

1. What first inspired you to create Modern Mediums: The Movie?

The topic of Mediums has interested me for a long time. I am a skeptic, but there have been several things I’ve experienced and I’ve heard about experiences of others close to me that make be wonder.

2. Why did you choose Kickstarter for your campaign?

I’ve been a frequent backer and lover of Kickstarter since its inception. I’ve backed over 30 projects. I love the approach, the vibe and the content Kickstarter helps bring to the marketplace.

3. What can backers of this project look forward to seeing?

If we hit our goal, people could get an objective look at the topic.  The film’s producers would source and select people to receive readings during the filming. The mediums who agree to participate will not have any history or knowledge of the people getting readings. We plan to film both the mediums and the people getting readings before and after the readings to learn more. What is the experience like of the mediums? What are the expectations for the people getting read? How did their experience compare to the reality for them? We’ll be filming the readings themselves too, because they often become quite emotional for the participants.

4. Looking back at this project so far, is there anything you would do differently?

I think I would have spent a lot more time investing in a PR campaign to hit just before and during our launch. I went into this thinking we would get a fair amount of traffic from Kickstarter itself, but that didn’t happen. As best we can trace the activity, it looks like all our backers came from our own marketing and outreach. It seems that with so many projects “live” at any given time, each project really needs to be prepared to create its own traffic.

5. Is there any other advice you would give to someone thinking of launching a Kickstarter project?

Sure.  In addition to considerable work you need to do to prepare for your launch, be ready to spend hours and hours every day of your campaign interacting with backers, potential backers and spreading the word in a variety of ways.

Community Manager - CrowdCrux.com
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: $28k Tips from 'Modern Medium: The Movie' on Kickstarter

by sbriggman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:01 pm

Awesome info!! Thanks for sharing :)
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • alieh
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by alieh » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:51 pm

thanks for sharing!
  • themusicchamber
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by themusicchamber » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 am

Definitely, this is what I am also thinking from a long time that simply creating a good project on a kickstarter will not help. You should be ready to invest some times for the same.