Choose yourself first (Seth Godin)
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Choose yourself first (Seth Godin)

by sbriggman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:44 pm

I really like this concept developed by Seth Godin of "Choosing yourself first," as he describes in this post: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog ... rself.html

Basically the concept is...why should you wait for someone else to pick you to be on their team? Why not create your own team?

If you're a novelist, why wait to be accepted by a major publishing house when you can get your work out there via the internet?

If you're a musician, you don't have to wait to be "chosen" by a big record label any more. You can put yourself out there pretty easily, thanks to social media and the internet.

"It's a cultural instinct to wait to get picked. To seek out the permission and authority that comes from a publisher or talk show host or even a blogger saying, "I pick you." Once you reject that impulse and realize that no one is going to select you--that Prince Charming has chosen another house--then you can actually get to work."

Great thoughts and very inline with Kickstarter. It will take you 30 seconds to read the blog post: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog ... rself.html

Let me know what you think!

Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • sayheylo
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Choose yourself first (Seth Godin)

by sayheylo » Sat May 10, 2014 12:49 pm

I have just read this post of yours and also Seth Godin`s blog post.

This could really change on many lives around so that already shared on Facebook and tweeted about it.

Thank you, Salvador.
  • ALRadeck
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by ALRadeck » Thu May 15, 2014 5:11 am

He makes very good points. I learned long, long ago that ain't nobody gonna run my life for me. So if I want to make it work and want to make it interesting, I better get started.
  • pris
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by pris » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Yes, you can put yourself out there pretty easily, thanks to the internet and social media. But it is easier say than done I think and I speak from experience. There are so many of everything out there already and the markets are saturated with "things" whatever they are.
    A good example is a musician. There so many out there already on the internet and social media that it seems like you need that label to make you stand out. You can stand out on your own but it is so hard!!!
    I don't agree with it but I can understand why people wait to be picked up. I suggest while waiting to be picked up try to make it on your own too.
    Pris
    igg.me/at/mamitons

Help me fight for a great cause lets make the word a better place!