A.B.C. (Always Be Campaigning)
  • InfiniteHorizonsUly
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

A.B.C. (Always Be Campaigning)

by InfiniteHorizonsUly » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:00 pm

I do not want to post anything that would get Sal in hot water in regards to copyright, but I hope those of you who know the movie, Glengarry Glen Ross will play Alec Baldwins AMAZING cameo in their heads right now. And if you have not seen the movie, open a tab and search on Youtube--better yet, WATCH THE MOVIE!

I am a salesperson. I am not blessed, like many of you reading these words, to be self employed. I plan on joining your esteemed company sometime in 2015. I have detailed lists (way too many, actually) tacked all over the walls of my little 60" by 60" space I will turn into my mini studio.

My company only offeres 4 day weeks and so I also work at a art/frame shop. I enjoy sales. I love the challenge. I am a good salesperson. Since I have been in reatil sales for a decade I think I can share what I have learned that has helped me excel in a cut throat field some last only weeks in. . . and so I asked Sal if I could write a series of posts sharing certain sales tips that may help you, my fellow crowdfunders and entrepeneurs. Please participate, add your own tips if you would like. If we build on this, Sal may open up a new section where we can share and expand the art of sales and how it can help fellow crowdfunders.

Because YOU are a salesperson.

You may not like it, or even realize it, but you are the very definition of a salesperson the second you hit that launch button.

There are two areas of a crowdfunding campaign, I feel you can utilize certain aspects of salesmanship.

1. Your campaign video.

It is here, I would offer, you can display a VITAL aspect of a sales pitch. CONFIDENCE. This does not mean you should be cocky. Please remove the idea of the slick, used car salesman with the Rolex and "gentlemens club" level of perfume adornment. The type of confidence I would like to explain to you--in hope you can use this behavior in your pitch video--was taught to me by a masterful salesperson named Keevis. Think: New York bred, wave in his close cropped hair only aquired by a "do-rag" and a fellow "brotha" (well, half brotha in my case, but not the familial kind, the brotha kind. . .catch my drift?). I met Keevis when he and his 6 man crew swooped in from the road. At the time I worked for the nation's largest furniture retailer. You know them well, I will not speak the name due to a not so kosher parting of ways, but let us just say the name rhymed with Sashley Furniture. What Sashley LOVED to do was have an annual "liquidation" sale. This is a very intelligent way to develop a relationship in the community. Nothing like making them think you are going out of business every year!! Since I cut to the chase with every prospect-- during these liquidation events I would pull my "up" aside and let them know that the furniture was marked up--that I was trained to drop 10 percent several times until we made it to 60 off retail. I felt that was shady, so I told them everything was 60%. Now they new the game, I set them free--so I wasn't a vulture circling above--then found them again after they decided there was furniture they may want to purchase.

One morning Keevis and the road crew manager were running the morning sales meeting. We had just hired a new group of green sales people on the "in house" side of the sales team, many who had never sold furniture before. One newbie was having a problem, feeling like he "knew nothing and needed to sounded like he knew what he was talking about" when he was speaking to a prospect.

This is the part I hope at least ONE crowdfunder who is about to film thier video takes to heart. Now, some of you may never appear in any video. Many videos front mega funded projects and the creators never speak or are seen. If that is what you plan for your video then skip to the second part of this post. But if you wish to pitch in your video like I did and feel like you are a good salesperson, then [b]what Keevis said could really help you engage backers and help them gain the confidence to hit that pledge button.[/b]

Keevis took control of the meeting and stood up. "Tons of tourists in New York. Imagine this: some family from Akron, Ohio--kind of cats that walk around with open maps like marks for pick pockets, always staring up and TAKING PICTURES OF SKYSCRAPERS--ok, they get lost. They always get lost, how? I don't know, but eventually they walk up to some suite guy, or maybe a hot dog vendor--just someone a tourists thinks knows the city. So, they ask the suit how do they get to The Lion King Theater in Times Square. So, this cat starts stuttering, points in one direction, then another. . .just falls over his own words and then says, he thinks it is a out a mile walk North. Now the family smiles, tells the suit how he is so nice, not like what they were told New Yorkers are going to be life. They make their way towards the direction he pointed. But Dad, Dad looks back and makes sure the suit rounded the corner. And what is the first thing he does? He finds ANOTHER suit, or maybe this time it is the hot dog guy.

Without skipping a beat, the new person says," Keep walking down 6th Avenue for 5 blocks, make a right on West 46th and in one block you are there."

Not a moment of hesitation off the family goes. The second person could be lying, could just enjoy playing with tourists. It does not matter. Because he was confident, they believed him and followed his instructions.

I feel, it is important--even if it takes days and countless retakes--for you to display confidence like the second direction giver. Any backer watching your video will see how much you are sure in your ability to complete your project--even if you have doubts (we all have doubts of failure, or huge unknown problems, if you don't well. . .there is this guy named Murphy, and he has this Law. . .) But the magical thing about Kickstarter and crowdfunding in general, is people are really investing in the creator more so then what they "get" when we ship their rewards. I feel this is very important for anyone reading this who is in the research phase of their potential project. Once that reality sets in, you will be on a much more stable foundation mentally.

Always.Be. Campaigning.

This one is short and sweat. I promise! The cliche in sales to "always be closing" simply means that one should constantly be guiding the sales process to a close--to a buying decisions. Many salespeople think they are waisting their time with "tire kickers." No salesperson should think like this. Maybe the lady i help explain what an HDMI cable does--and why she does not need a seperate audio cable--tells her friend to come see me when they express interest in a sound bar and 60" smart tv. But, it is important to always suggest a close, or ask if they needed the item today or tomorrow? Often times clients need that nudge. They are not buying on amazon for a reason, they do not want to make a mistake and for whatever reason, do not trust the hundreds of reviews they can read on amazon of most major products. If they did, I would not have a job.

For you, running a live campaign, or preparing to do one--every spare second should be spent campaigning. We often focus all our energy online--via social media platforms. But one thing I did not do with my first project, but will do so with every future campaign, is print out a postcard (have you tried http://www.nextdayflyers.com ?)

If you do so, take several with you, everywhere you go. Pin them at laundry mats, local community colleges sometimes have peg boards in the cafeteria, coffee and doghnut shops. Long line at the grocery store? Always.Be.Campaigning!!! Strike up a conversation and give them a postcard. Maybe even have a little free giveaway for people that pledge because you handed out a postcard (put a code on the postcard and let them know to send that code when they pledge and you will sweeten whatever tier they pledge with some swag).

Most of us choose campaign durations around 30 days. You will find you do more marketing in that month or so, then most online business do in a year. But not all of your campaigning has to be done online! It is 4:04 a.m. I do not have a live campaign right now, but I am still in the project head space and got used to staying up late. You will find hours you never knew existed in the normal course of your previous existence--before you fell down the crowdfunding rabbit hole. But many of us forget to campaign when we are offline.

Always. Be. Campaigning!!!!!

If you would like to see my art, then visit my tiny node on the web, click>>> www.starsongsandmoondreams.com