Is being "Edgy" a good or bad strategy on Kickstarter?
  • Josh Cross
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Is being "Edgy" a good or bad strategy on Kickstarter?

by Josh Cross » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:34 pm

I have a live project on Kickstarter (GoPlug Bags). I'm playing it safe with the tagline "Powering Mobility". The project will be pulled soon as we rethink our marketing strategy for an upcoming relaunch. The new tagline will be "GoPlug Yourself" with video content to match the edginess.

Good or bad strategy for Kickstarter?

Here's a link to the project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/107 ... g-mobility

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Is being "Edgy" a good or bad strategy on Kickstarter?

by sbriggman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:42 pm

First of all, I really like your product. If I was going to buy a new suitcase, I would totally get one of these. They would also be a great company perk for salespeople or businessmen that travel a lot.

I was kind of confused when I read the title and the "smart bag" description. When I saw the image, I totally got it and it made me want to watch the video. I also didn't understand the bluetooth trackable tag part in the description.

If I were you, I would skip the marketing buzz words, and do your best to describe the product as simply and in as few words as possible - charge your devices on the go with a suitcase that has a built in battery pack. The reason I say this is I think there is a strong enough problem/solution fit here and that if people could quickly grasp what the product was, they would immediately recognize whether or not they have that problem when traveling and whether or not they need one.

The other factor is the price. Have you gotten any feedback on this?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • Josh Cross
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Josh Cross » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:44 am

Thanks for liking the product, and great feedback. I have received feedback on the price, and that is one of the main reasons for pulling the project off Kickstarter. Since launching GoPlug 10 days ago, I have received a lot of interest, as well as interest from bag manufacturers who would like to produce these bags. The price point they've quoted was much lower than my original bids... my re-launch will reflect a lower price.

What did you think about being a bit more edgy?

Thanks again for your input!
  • tdrx
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by tdrx » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:43 am

I can give some more feedback as well since I quite like your concept but not as much the implementation.

I travel a lot and fairly long distance flights. My hand luggage gets banged in every direction, stepped on by a dozen passengers, squished, moved, dropped. People have spilled their coffees on it etc etc. I cannot imagine getting yours and it surviving more than a couple of trips, and if you want to convince me otherwise you're gonna have to show me that in the video.

At that price, I can get replacement batteries for all of my stuff plus a good branded, sturdy bag.

good luck
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Out of curiosity, how long does the battery last before it has to be recharged? Yea, would be nice if there was some kind of a cover over the surface you plug your laptop into before you intend to use it.

If I knew the product beforehand (like my friend told me), I think the edgyness would be cool, but just having landed on the page, the edgy marketing buzz words detracted from my ability to understand what the product did initially.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.