VFD for 6hp motor
    LeslieBShaw
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

VFD for 6hp motor

by LeslieBShaw » Wed May 19, 2021 12:56 pm

I recently bought a 13-inch porter jointer with a 6 hp engine and 3 hours of running time. I only have a single-phase power supply, and I'm weighing the VFD against a new single-phase motor. Has anyone successfully installed a single-phase input VFD for this application? Although I read/heard that 3 hp output is the limit for them, I see some new single-phase input VFDs that claim 6 hp/3 h output. I wonder if anyone has installed and can recommend one of these drives?

AbigailMcLeans
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: VFD for 6hp motor

by AbigailMcLeans » Thu May 20, 2021 12:17 pm

try to clear the valves
  • NogChurchi
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by NogChurchi » Thu May 20, 2021 8:29 pm

Unfortunately I also failed to install a single phase input VFD for this application
  • IreneGrant
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by IreneGrant » Thu May 20, 2021 8:57 pm

Hey...I had a customer that builds control systems for industrial food processing (ovens and blast chillers that use conveyors). The only trick is that all the motors should be identical and to add 10% extra current capacity over the total (because large motors have higher inductance which acts as a current limiter), also individual overloads. They regularly used >10 motors on a drive. Never had an issue. His supplies come from Automation parts, so far it has been good words. I do not know if there is a theoretical limit to the number of motors as long as the aggregate current draw is <90% of the drive’s output current capacity.