A few questions from a rookie
  • buhiKOU
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

A few questions from a rookie

by buhiKOU » Sat May 05, 2018 4:48 am

Hello everyone! I just started planning my projects a few weeks ago and I am still researching. I have a few questions and it'd be great if anyone knows anything and could clear it up for me!
    1. Do I have to consider tax?
    2. is it necessary to get my idea patented?
    3. what kind of shipping services should I look for?
    4. Is marketing still crucial if I'm just planning a small project?
    5. Are crowdfunding consultants worth it?

THANKS!!!!!

• Mwilliams
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: A few questions from a rookie

by Mwilliams » Wed May 09, 2018 9:27 pm

buhiKOU wrote:Hello everyone! I just started planning my projects a few weeks ago and I am still researching. I have a few questions and it'd be great if anyone knows anything and could clear it up for me!
    1. Do I have to consider tax?
    2. is it necessary to get my idea patented?
    3. what kind of shipping services should I look for?
    4. Is marketing still crucial if I'm just planning a small project?
    5. Are crowdfunding consultants worth it?

THANKS!!!!!

Hey buhiKOU,

It's tough to give the advice not really knowing anything about your project.

1. I would contact an accountant on the tax questions. Here is what Kickstarter has posted about it, you can find more info, but as I said earlier, you should contact and accountant. https://www.kickstarter.com/help/taxes

2. Depends what your idea is. I for instance created a board game, board games cant be patented, that's why there are a bunch of games that look like monopoly for instance. I do however have the ability to trademark/copyright my logo, artwork, instruction, cards, etc. Again, not knowing anything about your project its hard to say if you will need a patent.

3. You can self fulfill or use a 3rd party service to help, you should do the research and see what best fits your project. Ship Naked, Easy Ship, Black Box, you can just google fulfillment services to see more.

4. Marketing is super crucial, you should be talking about and promoting your project on forums with a shared interest, FB groups, Twitter, etc. Start building a social media following for it and building hype around it. This should be done months ahead of your launch time to help you have a successful campaign. It's all about getting it in front of people, the more that see it and know about it, the better chance of hitting your funding goal. Do not rely only on friends and family.

5. I personally do not think so, the way to a successful campaign is putting in the work yourself, building relationships and contact in your industry. No one will have the passion for you project like you do. Also, if you're having a smaller campaign they usually arn't interested. You can find tons of great info on this forum, other forums, and the kickstarter campus. People are usually willing to share their knowledge and advice.

Best of luck with you campaign, would like to know more about it.

Cheers.
    Don't Get Drunk was funded on Kickstarter and is available for preorder at CrowdOx ---> https://app.crowdox.com/projects/854354559/dont-get-drunk-the-ultimate-party-game