Follow along: Poor Choices the game
  • wade8x
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Follow along: Poor Choices the game

by wade8x » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:16 pm

Rather than post results after they happen, I thought I'd document my journey from planning to funding. I seem to get more out of posts like this because I can witness it happening in real time. I spent the last two months researching the market and Kickstarter, and have a plan that I’ll use as a guideline for this process. I’m both excited and nervous for this journey, so it should be a lot of fun…

My plan is to fund a card game with Kickstarter, scale it through online marketplaces like Amazon, and eventually get it into B&M retail stores like Walmart. I'm hoping to launch the Kickstarter project in October or November, but I'm not sure if I'm giving myself enough time. I just don't want to launch in December or January as those months seem to be less than ideal. I have yet to contact influencers or publications, and my personal network is very small. This is my main concern. I'd appreciate some input on the timeframe.

I came up with the idea for the game while playing Card Against Humanity, but my idea has since evolved into a completely different game. I started by creating a few different prototypes using index cards and play testing each of them. Then I took the best features and created a hybrid prototype that is now the current version of the game.

I’ll release details about the game soon, but here’s a sneak peak. As of now, it's called Poor Choices. It’ll make you laugh, use your creativity, screw over your friends and do everything you can to avoid losing. It also has an added a twist that keeps the game fresh and exciting when playing it over and over again with the same people. I have an extremely temporary web page at http://poorchoicesgame.com.

I just hired a graphic artist to design the cards and create the marketing material, and I should be able to show off the game then. I do have experience importing from China, and I should have some samples from a few manufacturers next week :)

I’ll update this thread when I have something interesting to share, and hopefully it will provide some value to the community. Feel free to chime in when you want.

Here we go…
    Last edited by wade8x on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

My future Kickstarter project: Poor Choices the game
    giftsandcoupons
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Follow along: Poor Choices the game

by giftsandcoupons » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:26 am

Hi, I think you're doing the right thing with an email capture on your site, although the design needs to be improved

The thing is you just need to get on and do it, don't set targets as they'll hinder you. Things will come together.

You also should plan on targetting sites (like mine) to generate the buzz beforehand of your project...connect with your email page and just "get out there" with your idea.
    http://www.giftsandcoupons.com/submit - Get more exposure of your Kickstarter / Indiegogo Project

http://www.giftsandcoupons.com - We Showcase the Ultimate Gifts
  • wade8x
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by wade8x » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:35 am

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I just created the page the other day so I had something there. I'm working on a real page right now and it'll be ready by the end of next week. Great idea for your website by the way, I like the design and layout!
    Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Cristina » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:20 pm

This post has been moved to the General Chat + Introduce Yourself section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman
  • Vanessa
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Vanessa » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:17 am

It's great that you give yourself at least 6 months to prepare before your campaign launch. You can use our app Krowdster to expand your personal network of supporters. With Krowdster's feature Crowd Builder you will get a list of proven backers of campaigns in the games category. You can read more about it in this article https://www.krowdster.co/blog/crowdfund ... tlets.html
    #1 Crowdfunding Campaign Optimization, Crowd Building & Promotion App https://www.krowdster.co/
  • Beohendee
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Beohendee » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:38 pm

This actually sounds like a fun game for my friends. We get together now and then for board game nights. They especially love games that involve sabotage and deceit. Looking forward to it!
    Holus: The Interactive Tabletop Holographic Display - goo.gl/QW1Lxx
  • wade8x
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by wade8x » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks!

I've finally got the website up and running, including the rules http://poorchoicesgame.com

It took a little longer than I wanted it to, but it's done. I spent the last 2-3 weeks working with my graphic designer on the logo, characters, card and package design. He's done an amazing job. I've also ordered samples of the card material, and have it narrowed down to 2-3 combinations. I should have that decision made by the end of the week, as well as order the first printed prototypes this month.

Let me know what you think of the game concept and website.
  • akisekai
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by akisekai » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:29 am

The art looks nice, and hope things go well
  • Farley
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Farley » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:15 am

Looks good!
  • wade8x
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by wade8x » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:20 am

Thanks everyone. I've had a few people mention they don't quite understand the rules, so I am working on clarifying this. I'm also a few days away from hiring someone to make a video for me. Thanks for the feedback!