Why are films so hard to Kickstart?
  • babyshoesmovie
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Why are films so hard to Kickstart?

by babyshoesmovie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:29 pm

I'm a filmmaker from the UK and have tried two Kickstarter campaigns in the past to fund the production of a film and both failed. It seems that physical products in general do better than films and other media on Kickstarter. Anyone have tips on getting backers' attention when it comes to funding films?

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Why are films so hard to Kickstart?

by sbriggman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:13 pm

Yes, I agree that physical products tend to raise more than their fundraising goal than films. I think you really need to take advantage of the social networks of everyone who is working on the film. The actors, all the producers, director, etc. It has to be a team effort. Some of the other tips I've put together: http://www.crowdcrux.com/tips-for-crowd ... -or-movie/

Some film communities: http://www.crowdcrux.com/places-to-prom ... m-project/
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • babyshoesmovie
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by babyshoesmovie » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Thanks a lot for the link, I'll take a look.
    tina-m
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by tina-m » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:26 am

I helped run a campaign for a film and it was successful BUT it was only for some money - specifically their insurance for shooting in Greece. We researched a lot of films and it seemed the successful ones had a lot of the film done and needed funds for either post-production, distribution or marketing type things. Though the film I helped didn't have that yet they had a very strong background in the industry behind the scenes (production, VFX, storyboarding, theatre, etc) and already had the funds for most of the production stage.

They also did offer physical rewards: behind the scenes postcards, DVDs, and quirky things like the director's recipe book! They also offered VFX classes I think. That really suited the director's personality and the film though, so think about your genre and yourself and what might be odd and special even if not directly part of the film.

Like sbriggman says, definitely pull in the whole film team for social media. If any of them have newsletters and mailing lists be sure to use those.