Question about timing and traffic...almost ready to launch!
    gear-wise
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Question about timing and traffic...almost ready to launch!

by gear-wise » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Hey All,

I am almost ready to launch my campaign and would like to ask people the following:

- What day of the week are you most active on Kickstarter? (can also be a group of days like "beginning of the week", "mid-week", weekend?)
    - What time of day do you check Kickstarter? (Do people look at kickstarter in the morning before work? During lunch breaks? After work? right before they go to bed?)

I know theres some research out there on the best day to launch. But i want to get a sense of what you guys think...

gear-wise
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Question about timing and traffic...almost ready to laun

by gear-wise » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:29 pm

I feel like i am most active wednesdays and thursdays after work...or sunday evening.
  • herringtj
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by herringtj » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:12 am

I've only been at it a week but I got almost nothing on Sunday and nothing today (Tuesday) but saw a significant spike early morning and midday monday.

Personally, I wished I had waited to lunch until the 2nd or 3rd of the month. I've ran into some issues with people being hesitant because they know my project will end on March 26th at the end of the month just before they get paid. Oh well, you live and learn.

Best of luck to you!
    gear-wise
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by gear-wise » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:52 am

Interesting...thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to time my launch on Wednesday March 18th, and end on sunday april 19th...Out of curiosity, what day did you launch? a tuesday?

What is your campaign?
  • herringtj
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by herringtj » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:06 am

We launched on a Thursday afternoon. We didn't seem to have any trouble getting any of the backers we had set to back involved plus several other friends who we messaged. It felt a little like people weren't paying much attention on Friday night and Saturday and Sunday though and we only got backers from people we messaged personally or called. There was a local film festival in Nacogdoches, TX (where we are based and making the film) that started Thursday. We tried to time our launch with this event so we could catch the people while they were high on film.

The link to my campaign should be at the bottom of my posts. But just to be safe:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ature-film

Let me know when you launch and I'll back you for at least $1-$5.
    Tom Beckett
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Tom Beckett » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:10 pm

I remember while researching this for my campaign that my original thoughts were completely opposite of what the data says. I figured that people were most active on Kickstarter on the weekends when they were home and had free time. Turns out people are most active at work when they should be working! I guess surfing Kickstarter during the work day puts a little fun in the day for those in front of computers for 8 hours. (Don't tell their bosses!)

With that, we launched on a Thursday morning and ended on a Monday evening. Starting Thursday allowed us to catch the end of a work week and ending on Monday evening allowed us to grab any last minute pledges that were holding off, but may have missed it (via forgetting) if it were on the weekend.

- Tom
    gear-wise
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by gear-wise » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:06 pm

herringtj wrote:We launched on a Thursday afternoon. We didn't seem to have any trouble getting any of the backers we had set to back involved plus several other friends who we messaged. It felt a little like people weren't paying much attention on Friday night and Saturday and Sunday though and we only got backers from people we messaged personally or called. There was a local film festival in Nacogdoches, TX (where we are based and making the film) that started Thursday. We tried to time our launch with this event so we could catch the people while they were high on film.

The link to my campaign should be at the bottom of my posts. But just to be safe:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ature-film

Let me know when you launch and I'll back you for at least $1-$5.

Interesting timing. Obviously people were busy with the festival at your time of launch, but in retrospect to your launch, do you think it was a help? or hinderance? Im not timing my launch with anything specific, im just curious because i probably would have done the same thing as you.

Thanks for your support, ill definitely be sure to let you know when we launch!
    gear-wise
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by gear-wise » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Tom Beckett wrote:I remember while researching this for my campaign that my original thoughts were completely opposite of what the data says. I figured that people were most active on Kickstarter on the weekends when they were home and had free time. Turns out people are most active at work when they should be working! I guess surfing Kickstarter during the work day puts a little fun in the day for those in front of computers for 8 hours. (Don't tell their bosses!)

With that, we launched on a Thursday morning and ended on a Monday evening. Starting Thursday allowed us to catch the end of a work week and ending on Monday evening allowed us to grab any last minute pledges that were holding off, but may have missed it (via forgetting) if it were on the weekend.

- Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, one would THINK or at least hope, that people arent spending their working hours on kickstarter, but apparently, that just not true lol. With that being said, i already know that the days i am at work when my campaign is running will be "difficult" haha.

right now im planning a wednesday launch and sunday close, but im tempted to push the close to monday (4/20)...my hope was i could close on a sunday and be able to celebrate (without having to "wait until i leave the office", but i guess in the end, id rather have the donations haha)

BTW, love your CNC, if all goes well with my campaign, i might have to pick one up from you guys =)

Best,
    Kirk
  • herringtj
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by herringtj » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Gear-Wise,

If I could go back and do it again, I would probably launch on Sunday afternoon or Monday because Monday and the weekdays were much more productive in terms of getting pledges and backers. And you want to get as much in as early as possible. The only reason I might do Sunday is so that you can get a sort of soft launch and get your family and close friends to put their money in sunday evening and then do the big public launch on Monday morning and start pushing it hard. That way when you do that, it'll have a decent chunk of money already.

Ultimately, I'd say launching on a Thursday wasn't the best idea because our pledges slowed down too much friday night, saturday and sunday.

These aren't tested ideas but based on my experience with this, that's what I would do next time.
    Tom Beckett
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Tom Beckett » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:15 pm

I would recommend the Monday close over Sunday.

As for Thursday start, totally agree with Herringtj, it's not ideal. Thinking back I think we were trying to maintain the 30 day duration with a priority on the end day rather than start day. In hindsight, they're both equally important. I recommend Herringtj's start date suggestion.

- Tom

P.S. Glad you like the CNC :)