I have no idea what I should be doing with crowd-funding...
  • bryanedds
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

I have no idea what I should be doing with crowd-funding...

by bryanedds » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:33 am

NOTE: This is a cross-post, and the original appears at - https://www.reddit.com/r/Crowdfunding/c ... should_be/

Like many other creators, I've always had an implicit assumption that if I am going to be able to produce a viable commercial product, I will need to employ some manner of crowd-funding in order to satisfy the project's funding requirements.

However, now that I'm roughly a month into implementing said project (a touch-based mobile world-crawler [think a mix of procedurally-generated Zelda with turn-based dungeon crawler combat])... I realized that I need to start focusing development in the direction of what potential crowd-funders would find worthy of their interest.

That is, now that I have the basic structure of the game in-place, I need to start driving development such that a potentially successful crowd-funding campaign could be achieved with in 3-4 months (EG - before I run out of my own resources that make current development possible!)

My realization is three-fold -

The first part comes from the realization that I know almost nothing about my potential backers. Not only what they would actually want from a product like mine, but if they exist at all!

The second part is that I know almost nothing about how projects as small as mine are received by the different funding platforms. If I were to use KS, my goal would be a minimum of 5k USD with a severe hope to reach 10k USD.

Third is that I know nothing about how to approach such a campaign, or what platform to use. Nowadays there are so many options to crowd-funding, it’s tough to know which is best for my project.

And probably the most problematic realization of all is that I don’t even know how to go about learning what I need to know to be able to start making informed decisions. I’m certain KS, for example, has reams and reams of user data that would be of great help to me, but am not aware if it is publicized and if it is, how to locate it.

So, that’s why I post this; I am hoping someone can help me orient myself so that I can (a) come to understand how my project should proceed in the short-term in order to increase the likelihood of being successful with crowd-funding, and (b) if my project is even viable on the crowd-funding market to begin with_

• oneadaptr
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: I have no idea what I should be doing with crowd-funding

by oneadaptr » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:31 am

I am no KS veteran but I believe you have to do more market research and answer this question yourself first:

The first part comes from the realization that I know almost nothing about my potential backers. Not only what they would actually want from a product like mine, but if they exist at all!