DIY Kickstarters: are they a rare breed?
  • JonMuncher
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

DIY Kickstarters: are they a rare breed?

by JonMuncher » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:53 am

Hello to everyone, and a special warm welcome to those of you who designed your kickstarter campaign from scratch.

I'm curious to know how many of you designed your own kickstarter campaign yourself. What I mean by this is:
    - the overall concept was thought up by you (not a team brainstorming for successful product ideas)
    - the layout (and some if not all) graphics were drawn/designed by you
    - all or some of the video script / storyboard / editing was done by you
    - the project plan and rewards were written by you
    - the marketing / promoting / advertisements were written and sent by you (i.e. not paying someone else to do it for you)

I'm not trying to criticize anyone who seeks outside help for their campaign, but I'm just curious to know how many of you have done most (or all) of the work by yourself. I'm personally feeling like I should branch out and pay for marketing my campaign, but I'd like to hear what others have done by themselves. Do you think it's possible to run a successful campaign without outside help?

Musicians: Check out my kickstarter campaign til the end of Dec.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13486643/munchbox-motion-controlled-expression-for-your-gui
  • JozshJames
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: DIY Kickstarters: are they a rare breed?

by JozshJames » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:29 am

Hey Jon.

I don't have a successful project (yet) to say what I've done to make it work with reaching out to an audience, in fact, I'm new to being a project creator and I'm in the process to trying to find the right audience (marketing and promoting).

I'm someone who's built my campaign from scratch, and everything else regarding the campaign/project, even down to the website. I created the graphics, music, artwork, all the animations/even voiced some of the characters in the animations (though I'm trying to work with voice actors to perform other characters), writing, video editing -- there's no one on my team, even for the marketing of the campaign.

And I think, here, might be the problem.
    As an individual, I've spent so much time working on the idea (card game with a soundtrack/book) that I did not spend enough time marketing and promoting the campaign prior to launch, and I didn't work on a plan prior to or after the launch.

If I could, I think I would try using someone to promote/market the campaign, as I'm working on, and rather tend to, the project itself.

Unfortunately, I don't have the funds or know the right people to do it for me, so now I'm searching for the right places to promote and market the project (my search for resources brought me to this forum.)

I will tell you what I aim to do though, so perhaps it'll help with others: jump on twitter and tweet people who may be interested in your project and ask for retweets.

I'm talking about the regular users. People who might fit the demographic for the project. This wasn't my idea, but my friends. It doesn't hurt to ask individuals for a tweet or retweet, you just have to deal with the potential rejection. Rejection is nothing you can't overcome, as I imagine all creators of all sorts deal with it, so it is what it is.

Also, use hashtags in your social media post. Use as many relevant hashtags as you can in regards to your project, that way, when people search for a keyword, your project will be discovered (hopefully). But also tweet/post often (again something I haven't fully done)

I plan to start doing this asap, as I'm finishing some promotional graphics/animations.

I'll let you know how this method works out with an update in a few days, and we'll see if it can jump start a project to being successfully funded.

-Josh
  • hbingram
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: DIY Kickstarters: are they a rare breed?

by hbingram » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:00 am

I did my kickstarter on my own. Well my 6 year old son helped with the idea.
    Did everything from designing my board game to even the art work.
    Its tough by yourself, took about 6months for us to get somewhat of a complete idea. Actually took less time to draw and put everything together, then it did to come up with the idea.