Feedback needed on live card game project
  • rjosker
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Feedback needed on live card game project

by rjosker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Hello this is Sue & Richard and we launched our Kickstarter project for Golf the Card Game last Thursday and are looking for feedback and/or ways to improve our project. Family & friends always seem to tell you it looks great. So we are looking for some unbiased feedback. You won't hurt our feelings or offend us.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/994661225/golf-the-card-game/

We have heard that fashion & games are two of the hardest categories on Kickstarter to get funded, so we know we have an uphill battle. We would really love to hear from any other card or board game creators, successful or not in their crowed funding project.

Thanks from a nervous,

Sue & Richard

http://www.golfthecardgame.com
    @golfthecardgame
    facebook.com/golfthecardgame

Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Feedback needed on live card game project

by Charles » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:26 pm

I haven't had a chance to check it out good, yet, but I noticed a typo while scrolling down the project page.

On the 1st and 10th holes each player is dealt a 5th card FACE DOWN, know as a Mulligan card.

The word "know" should be "known."

That aside, I only want to comment on the project image, right now.

That's a REALLY colorful image. It makes for a great project image, I think. It immediately grabbed my eye, as the page loaded.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
  • rjosker
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by rjosker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks Charles! Corrected the Typo already! Appreciate your feedback.
  • Cujosmom
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Cujosmom » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:30 am

I think that the game looks great. Offering a print and play reward for donations less than 15 may help get people's interest or even offering a free p-n-p. I think this has a lot of potential and I'll share it on Facebook for you.
  • rjosker
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by rjosker » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks. We just made the print and play download available for all. Thanks again.
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:22 pm

This is a game about golf. Plus, it looks good. You just need to raise awareness about it.

Out of curiosity, as a general question, why is the ball a solid white circle, on various cards, instead of more a traditional golf ball look, as on other cards?

Take a look at the Kicktraq link for your project:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/994661 ... card-game/

Then, take a close look at that "Share" figure with the blue background. That number needs to be at least a few hundred.

I would like to share the following observation about this card game about golf with you, just to give you an idea of its appeal, based solely upon the images and artwork on display on your Kickstarter project page. I don't even play golf, and for whatever reasons, I've just never been attracted to the game. Yet, your card game appeals to me, based on visuals, alone. If it can appeal to people who aren't golf fans, then it stands to reason that it should appeal to people who are golf fans. Thus, it should be capable of gaining traction - across a broad audience.

This project isn't off to a great start, and in all likelihood, is already in the proverbial Dead Zone, that phase that many (if not most) Kickstarter projects seem to go through.

Have you sent any copies of the game that you already have printed up to various game review sites, particularly board game review sites?

The beauty of this game is that, even if the Kickstarter fails, you already have a marketable game that can easily succeed, if marketed the right way. If you want this Kickstarter to succeed, though, then you had best start getting the word out about it.
  • rjosker
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by rjosker » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:23 pm

Charles, thank you for your insight - you need to write a blog on KS!

The solid white is actually a dimpled golf ball, not sure why it doesn't show as such.

You are dead on that we are in the 'proverbial Dead Zone.' We were a little, actually a lot naive about Kickstarter. Although the game and Kickstarter project have been in the works for a year, we didn't do the necessary prep work to build awareness. So now we are scrambling with press releases [which should have been done months ago] to get the word out.

We have tested the game with 500 test decks to people who don't know us and have received great feedback, so we are confident in our game but not in our Kickstarter ability. What we noticed as you pointed out is that we have mass appeal across generations. We are finding that most of the demographic that we have never heard of Kickstarter, making it that much more difficult.

We are going to try to build awareness for the next 2 weeks and see where it takes us. We have come to terms that we may have to cancel this KS campaign and try again in a few months using the lessons we learned. I will update progress here for others to learn from our mistakes. We did pickup $125 in backing this morning, so maybe there is hope!
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Put a link to your Kickstarter project in your forum signature, both here and on any other forum that you use.
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:44 pm

I pulled up your project's Kicktraq link, again, and looked at the Daily Data tab chart.

The Dead Zone doesn't typically start on Day Two.

Your project needs an average of $151.52 in pledges per day, on average, to meet the funding goal that you set for it.

Don't get absorbed in the charts and numbers. Focus on getting the word out, and growing the number of your backers.

If you will send me an ad for your game, I will include it in the next issue of Suspense & Decision magazine, which doesn't have a large readership, but golf appeals to a wide body of people, as do card games. No charge for the ad. Make it 800 pixels wide by 1035 pixels high, if you want a full page ad. I can link it to your Kickstarter page. If you want more than one link in the same ad, then part of the ad will have to be text. That's if you want the ad space, of course. No charge for the ad.
  • mboix
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by mboix » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:00 pm

The page looks good, the game sounds interesting and instructions are clear.

You should try focusing on getting more traffic, driving people into your project.

I am not sure what the optimal actions for doing this are, our project is on the same phase, so if we hit a good way to do this I can comment on it...
    Do you want to help Rockzip to get thousands of Highballoons (high altitude balloons) in the hands of students and entrepreneurs? Get on board! Our Kickstarter is LIVE http://kck.st/1sSGy6c