Will the Kickstarter community like your project?
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Will the Kickstarter community like your project?

by sbriggman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:31 pm

I think of Kickstarter kind of like Reddit. When you first join Reddit, you think it's this one large community, but you quickly find out that's not the case. Just as there are individual sub-reddits, there are also individual Kickstarter categories and some are easier to do well in than others.

One of the most easily overlooked methods I've found to get a sense as to whether or not the community will like and back your project is to browse other projects in your niche (the more similar the better) and look through the backers that have backed those projects.

For example, take the project below. It's received a lot of backers who have backed other projects.

dragons.jpg
    dragons.jpg (181.75 KiB) Viewed 2718 times

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 3.24.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 3.24.43 PM.png (58.69 KiB) Viewed 2718 times

Now take a look at this project. Most of the backers are first-time backers.

DAVID.jpg
    DAVID.jpg (81.99 KiB) Viewed 2718 times

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 3.28.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 3.28.27 PM.png (31.93 KiB) Viewed 2718 times

Obviously, it's just a short 5 minute analysis of these two projects, but it can quick idea as to whether the backer community rallied behind similar projects (or those in your category) or not.

Did you do this before launching?

Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    trexrell44
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Will the Kickstarter community like your project?

by trexrell44 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:42 pm

I have to say that I have done this plenty of times. As a matter of fact I have had funded projects send backers to my project that was current at the time. It really is hard to pull off if you can not pull your own weight at the beginning but it indeed helps. I believe cross promotion really helps in this analysis finding similar projects and cross promoting with them.
  • JBGarnerWrites
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by JBGarnerWrites » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:35 pm

That idea certainly makes sense in hindsight. Before finalizing my own project page, I did browse similar pages in an effort to gauge things. In the end, though, I wound up altering little, simply because the books themselves (at least the first four) are written. If people don't get behind the concept now, they just won't and there isn't much I can do to change things.

My biggest conundrum is if I should do a video after all, even if it would be a recap of the project page as it's already laid out.
    Author of sci-fi, fantasy, and sports fiction
    Look 'J. B. Garner' at Smashwords, Amazon, or B&N
    My Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... -to-legend
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:54 am

Statistically, your chances of getting funded increase, if you have a project video, based upon what I have read.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
  • onesuit
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by onesuit » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:16 pm

We did this before launching and as our product is quite unique, there weren't many other projects to compare it with.
    Therefore it wasn't really beneficial.
    I still have no idea if the community will like our project or not. We have only had 16 backers after 9 days, 3 of whom are unknown to us. I guess that tells us that our project is not popular in the kickstarter community!
    We have a video - so I would like to hope that we become part of the statistics that I keep seeing that your chances of getting funded increase!

Kerry
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... r-commuter
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:41 pm

@charles - Yea, Indiegogo says that on average, videos raise 100%+ more funds than campaigns without a video.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:07 pm

sbriggman wrote:I think of Kickstarter kind of like Reddit. When you first join Reddit, you think it's this one large community, but you quickly find out that's not the case. Just as there are individual sub-reddits, there are also individual Kickstarter categories and some are easier to do well in than others.

Some Kickstarter projects can fit comfortably under more than one category, and depending upon which category that you place your project under, you might end up making it easier or harder on your own project, due to the respective sizes of the communities that have grown around a particular category.

But, one thing that project creators need to realize is that each Kickstarter project is like a seed for a community, and when you plant that seed (launch your project), a community will either begin to grow around your project or it won't. The grand object is to nurture and cultivate your own community, and not so much to co-opt someone else's community.

A lot of people want to take shortcuts, and commandeer existing communities in whole, and invariably, the run into problems. They see a golden egg, and off they go, trying to steal the goose. In the process, their own project suffers, simply because they are operating on a skewered sense of what "community" is.

This approach opens project creators up to becoming vulnerable to all kinds of nonsense. The problem is not so much that it's wrong to look for shortcuts, per se, but rather, the problem is that people are often willing to invest more time and energy and effort into looking for shortcuts, than they invest in nurturing and cultivating and growing a healthy and vibrant community of their own.

Hence, why people are quick to look for the Magic Voices of Large Numbers, such as people with huge followings on Twitter, just as one example. Instead of seeing these things as mechanisms to give their campaign a nudge, what they often tend to see are just the numbers, without an appreciation for what those numbers actually represent - not to mention what those numbers DON'T represent.

In the old days, it was called deluding one's own self. Even on this forum, people will complain about "scams," even as they are often quite willing to scam themselves. At what point should Kickstarter creators know better? After all, nobody launches a Kickstarter project, not even for the very first time, fresh from the womb. Prior to launching their first Kickstarter, what has life, itself, and the sum totality of their experience in life, taught them about the things that people do?

If you're willing to sell yourself on the concept that for, let's say, five dollars, you can grow an instant healthy and thriving community of supporters for your Kickstarter project, because some other person that you've never met has thousands or tens of thousands of Twitter followers, then what's the real scam? That some guy is investing time, energy, and effort into trying to make five bucks a pop by flashing large numbers around, or that some other guy allows them self to go all google-eyed over the glitz and glamour of pure numbers?

Numbers, absent context, are just raw data. A community that you haven't bothered to actually grow and build and nurture and foster is just a mirage.

Just as there have been tens of thousands of projects on Kickstarter since its inception, likewise, there have also been tens of thousands of communities associated with those very same projects. In a nutshell, your project, your community.

A Twitter following is just, exactly that - a Twitter following. A Twitter following is NOT a Kickstarter community. At best, it is a Twitter community, and a Twitter community is no more a Kickstarter community than a Facebook friend's list is a Kickstarter community. You need the right tool for the right job. If what you need is a Kickstarter community, then why grab the wrong tool for the job? Yet, you tell me, Sal Briggman - How many times do you, yourself, see people continue to reach for the wrong tool for their Kickstarter job?

I already know. You see it every day. Every. Single. Day.

They haven't had time nor made the effort to grow a Twitter community of their own, so they want to borrow somebody else's for a month or so, in order to get their Kickstarter funded. They don't have time to build and grow a community of their very own, because they're too busy spending their time engaging in all kinds of nonsensical antics. So, if the guy with forty thousand twitter followers didn't get the job done, then what they then tend to do is to look for someone with even bigger Twitter numbers, rather than focus upon the core problem with their Kickstarter projects - namely, themselves.

Kickstarter - It starts with YOU! That's what they need to grasp. That's what they need to realize.

You either figure out a way to grow a community unique to your project around your project, or it dies. If you spend all of your time chasing rainbows, or if you spend too much time chasing rainbows, then your project dies, it doesn't get funding. That strikes me as largely being a nugget of good old common sense.

How many rainbow chasers are there on Kickstarter? Thousands of them, with more joining the ranks of the existing rainbow chasers every single day.

They don't do their homework. They don't do the ground work. They don't do the field work. And then, when their Kickstarter project isn't gaining any traction, they don't have a clue as to why.

Go figure!
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2