Two questions about hooking up to Facebook
  • rbowser
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Two questions about hooking up to Facebook

by rbowser » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:09 pm

I'm still in pre-launch mode, though my campaign is pretty much ready to go, and has been approved by Kickstarter.

I set up a Facebook business page as part of my pre-launch publicity. That page is now up and running.

Now two things have come up that I don't understand:

--I have the FB page included on my Kickstarter page as the project's website. But when I preview the project, the link comes up as just "Facebook." I thought the link would display the actual name of my FB page. -- ?? -- Is that just the way it is, or is there something I can do to fix that?

--On the "About You" section, there's a button to hook the campaign up to Facebook. "Facebook Connect" - but then I'm not quite sure why it says "Log in with Facebook" -- I just want to connect my campaign page to FB. - ?-- Oh well, fine, I want to hook it up to the business page referred to above. But when I click the Facebook button - nothing happens. When I preview the campaign, it prominently says under my picture "has not connected Facebook." - What's going wrong here? Why isn't the connection being made-

Any help with those FB matters would be much appreciated.

rbowser

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Two questions about hooking up to Facebook

by sbriggman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:13 pm

1. Yea, it should say the name of your facebook profile. Did that change?

2. You need to log in with facebook to connect your facebook to the campaign. It needs to be a personal facebook page I believe, though I'm not 100% sure, maybe others can chime in.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • rbowser
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by rbowser » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Thank you very much for the replies, sbriggman:

sbriggman wrote:1. Yea, it should say the name of your facebook profile. Did that change?

2. You need to log in with facebook to connect your facebook to the campaign. It needs to be a personal facebook page I believe, though I'm not 100% sure, maybe others can chime in.

The FB page name still isn't displayed - In the preview, the website is just listed as "Facebook." I think maybe that will change after my campaign is published.

The solution to the second problem was to do that bit of hooking up to FB while using Chrome as my browser instead of Firefox, my usual browser. I had submitted a Kickstarter support ticket on this question, and Support replied with the suggestion to try a different browser. Firefox was blocking that pop-up apparently, though I didn't see any message saying that was happening.

So, now the campaign is hooked up to FB, and you're right that it had to be to my original personal FB page. But the special business page set up for my campaign is still displayed as "Facebook." Oh well, that's all that can be done for now - maybe, as I said, the name display will change once the campaign goes live.

Thanks again for the replies.

RB
  • Devonp1982
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Devonp1982 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:14 pm

The connect w/facebook is something different that shows the potential donors how many facebook friends you have, so they know you are a real person. With that, you should link with your personal account, and not the account you set up for the project.

Devon
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... tery-novel
  • rbowser
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by rbowser » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:57 pm

Devonp1982 wrote:The connect w/facebook is something different that shows the potential donors how many facebook friends you have, so they know you are a real person. With that, you should link with your personal account, and not the account you set up for the project.

Devon
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... tery-novel

Thanks for the reply, Devon - Right, I understand that the Facebook connect is for hooking up my personal account. I have that working now after pushing the FB button while using Chrome. The other item is my business account set up specifically for the Kickstarter campaign, and it's inserted as the "website." That link is just saying "Facebook" instead of the name of the page at FB which relates to my upcoming campaign - I'm hoping that changes once the campaign is live, so people will know it's a specific site to go to, not just "Facebook" - but I'm not sure that will happen, since it remains as just "Facebook" when I look at a preview.

See what I mean? - I understand there are 2 different things - I'm now hooked up to my personal page, but I'm surprised the "website" FB page isn't displaying the actual name of the page.

RB