My First Project: I would love Feedback
  • Daniel.Sean
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

My First Project: I would love Feedback

by Daniel.Sean » Mon May 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Hello Everyone

My name is Daniel Sean,and I just launched my first project today. I am an independent documentary film maker from Canada. I have had a deep love for Tibet and the human rights struggle in that country. I am attempting to complete a full length feature documentary on the Free Tibet movement, Buddhism, and all things in between.

I would love for you guys to give me some feedback on my project and maybe some tips on how to improve or polish it. Any feedback is welcome. Thank you

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/104159636/free-tibet-documentary

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: My First Project: I would love Feedback

by sbriggman » Mon May 05, 2014 7:07 pm

Regarding tips, in the article listed below, one creator wrote about the "kickstarter honeymoon" period, where you are visible for simply being a new project. Would definitely take advantage of this time and get everyone in your social network to pledge to the campaign and get to the 20% mark so that you continue to be visible on Kickstarter.

Article: http://www.crowdcrux.com/proven-crowdfu ... r-creator/
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    Parity
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Parity » Mon May 05, 2014 8:42 pm

This seems like a very interesting topic. I think one of the things I would want to know more about is the plan on how the film will be made. For example, how many people will need to be involved to make the movie, travel arrangements (since you will be traveling abroad), and how you would handle any issues that may come up concerning the travel to Tibet. I would love to see more projects like yours succeed as I find these types of documentaries very interesting. Good luck!
  • MagicMeisters
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by MagicMeisters » Tue May 06, 2014 6:50 am

It's a good topic. I'll keep watching it and share with friends I know that are interested : )
    lew82
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by lew82 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:29 pm

It's a very corageous topic, it's utterly horrible what has been done to Tibet since 1950, and what's truly shameful is the world's ability to go along with it. Like many bad deeds that are done on the world stage, if it's convenient, looks good or there's something to be gained, only then does the world (US) really stand up and stamp their feet.

I'll share this with folks who are keen on the topic that I know, also one question I have is, if you're not allowed to film in Tibet or China, what is the game plan for the doco?

Cheers,

Lewis Roscoe :D
    Like on facebook
    Follow on twitter
    Subscribe on youtube
    Support on kickstarter
  • Afarifteh
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Afarifteh » Thu May 08, 2014 4:18 pm

Very interesting project, I'll make sure to share it particularly with my sister as she's studying global politics at the moment and have an extreme interest in this. I would second the above posters question though - what are your solutions to problems such as chinese goverment shutting you down, not being allowed into the country at all etc. ? I think these are quite important questions when trying to fund a project like this!
  • ChronoRider
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ChronoRider » Fri May 09, 2014 10:01 am

Interesting project, hope it works out!
  • stephjiang
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by stephjiang » Fri May 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Congratulations on launching! I think it's a great subject you're tackling, and here are my two cents re: your project:

- 90% of the projects I back are because I'm backing the person behind the project. I want to see the creators explain their project in the video, with original content. I want to read about the creator's backstory, and I want to know how he or she plans on fulfilling the rewards. So if you're doing a documentary, I want to know that you have the capability, first of all, to produce a documentary, and I'd also like to know how you're going to do it (i.e. do you have all the necessary equipment, are you doing it alone, etc.)

- Under "Risks & Challenges", you say one of the problems is that the Chinese government will not let you in to the country or give you access to Tibet. Since this is the very first step necessary to make your documentary, I highly suggest figuring out how to get in to Tibet and making sure that isn't a problem before you try to get funded. I would be far more convinced to back a project that has a 99% chance of success once funded.

Wishing you all the best!