The Pioneer House -- My debut film and first Kickstarter
  • ThePioneerHouse
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

The Pioneer House -- My debut film and first Kickstarter

by ThePioneerHouse » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:44 am

This is my first experience with Kickstarter, and I'm very excited to join this thriving forum community.

One year ago I conceived the idea for a feature length horror film -- The Pioneer House. In order to make the film even possible, I moved from San Diego to a very, very small town in Northern California. My new location is very isolated and surrounded by beautiful and frightening backwoods, which are now locations written into the film.

This Kickstarter represents the final step in a long road to making this film a reality. We just launched yesterday and I have a ways to go, so I appreciate any support and insight.

Thanks!

Link: http://kck.st/1hqgG96

Writer and director of The Pioneer House -- a gritty feature horror film with a bare bones budget to be shot in the remote backwoods that surround my rural property. Kickstarter -- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... neer-house
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: The Pioneer House -- My debut film and first Kickstarter

by sbriggman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:54 pm

We're glad to have you! Congrats on your first Kickstarter experience. One bit of advice I give to every type of film project is to enlist every member who is involved in the film to help spread the word (first to friends/family/social network with personalized messages). You guys have an advantage with having such a large team - use it!
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • ThePioneerHouse
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ThePioneerHouse » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks for the motivational words. Our production crew is actually small compared to most but definitely have people to help spread the word.

Been very excited at the support so far and we are over the 10% march which is very exciting. But the remaining 90% seems daunting.
    Writer and director of The Pioneer House -- a gritty feature horror film with a bare bones budget to be shot in the remote backwoods that surround my rural property. Kickstarter -- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... neer-house
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:56 pm

I would have some of your team focus on attracting backers for the 2.5k and up tier and the rest of your team on the lower tiers. Likely the demographics for these two types will be different.
  • ThePioneerHouse
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ThePioneerHouse » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Do you have any insight or links/resources in regards to attracting outside high tier backers? In terms of my family and friends, I am fairly certain pledges over $500 are not possible. I have been very curious about how other independent kickstarter films get the attention of a potentially significant backer.
  • tauteur
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by tauteur » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:08 pm

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:25 pm

Do you have any insight or links/resources in regards to attracting outside high tier backers? In terms of my family and friends, I am fairly certain pledges over $500 are not possible. I have been very curious about how other independent kickstarter films get the attention of a potentially significant backer.

This is actually a topic I haven't covered too much on CrowdCrux (how to go about courting larger backers). I think my first step would be to reach out to other film producers who have run Kickstarter campaigns and have received large pledges at upper tiers and ask them how they did it.

Have you ever raised financing for a film before outside of Kickstarter?
  • ThePioneerHouse
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ThePioneerHouse » Thu May 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Great advice, I will try to research some formerly funded kickstarters for horror features and see what I can find.

As for your second question, this is my first foray into crowd funding. It seems like simply getting your name/project out into the kickstarter community is the most important -- yet difficult -- part, but I'm extremely confident in this film and project so I will keep plugging away.

Actually saw an article today about indie horror films on IndieWire and it mentioned that most horror films today are forgetting the history and tenets of the genre. My film was designed and written to do just what the article said the genre needs -- so I want to shout this to the world, but not really sure how.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Thu May 01, 2014 5:38 pm

I would contact that writer and tell him you liked his article and agree with it for x y and z reason. If he replies, you can mention your campaign and your mission to bring back the tenets of the genre.
  • ThePioneerHouse
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ThePioneerHouse » Thu May 01, 2014 7:36 pm

Funny you say that. I actually tweeted the author my compliments about the article and linked my kickstarter. I suppose I should have emailed directly first, like you recommended. Definitely appreciate the tip/strategy.