Changing the way we make movies!
  • Peter.and.John
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Changing the way we make movies!

by Peter.and.John » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:12 pm

Hey guys!

I'm the Kickstarter campaign manager for Peter and John, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/moviesfrommarlboro/peter-and-john-a-new-way-to-make-movies

We are a 501(c)(3) that's producing a film (the fifth for our director, Jay Craven) through a very special, important program. We take 30 film students from 10 colleges, spend a semester training them, and then we make a real movie. A professional, beautiful feature film with a Hollywood cast, staffed by an additional 20 veteran film professionals.

We want to give young film makers an opportunity that they never (unless by some special circumstances) get while in school. They're not interns - they're performing real jobs on set. Camera operator, 2nd AD, grip & electric, costumes, make-up, editing - whatever they want genuine, resume-building experience in. We're hoping to spread this model beyond our program in the future, but first we need to make this movie.

Jay made Northern Borders, his 2012 film, using this method, and it was a success. We're confident that Peter and John will make no less of an impact. We're working on a small budget, and crowd funding in order to hit our goal, and to get the word out about our project.

If you like the sound of it, please take a look and consider telling your friends (or donating if you can). And let me know if you need any help with your campaign! Our director has been fundraising for a long time, and I will happily pass on his advice!

• DIYShakespeare
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Changing the way we make movies!

by DIYShakespeare » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:40 pm

This is an excellent model. We employed about 30 film students all in their final year of school to work on our project. I think that connecting those seeking an education in film with working professionals is the only way to reinforce a "culture" of film-making instead of just a closed off studio-driven industry. As Hollywood is increasingly boxed in by franchise-only material, the best way to sensibly link artists and audiences might be through direct collaboration.

I like this.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:19 pm

Congrats on reaching 50% of your goal! What has been effective methods of outreach for you guys?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • Kemeys
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Kemeys » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:19 pm

I have shared for you, Very cool!, check out my kickstarter! - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... udent-film
  • Peter.and.John
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Peter.and.John » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks for the share, Kemeys! You project looks amazing, I'll be passing it on.

The largest percentage of our donations come from Facebook - we spent a few days sending a few hundred private messages (all individual - I think this is key) . We also have a bi-weekly constant contact blast, we've sent personal emails, we hand out postcards on the island - and we've been lucky enough to have some very generous donors.

We also post to our Facebook sometimes twice a day, frequently doing the math for our potential donors, for example, "We need to raise (X amount of dollars) to reach (this important check point) by (this date) - if (X amount of people) gave us only (X amount of dollars), we'll reach our goal!"

There are still lag days, which can be a bit depressing, and on those days I push extra hard to saturate social media, blogs, etc. Even if no money comes of it, I feel like I'm getting our name out there.
  • joshfolan
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by joshfolan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Phenomenal idea, melding a social cause/movement for people to get behind like this with a narrative film project (which are tough to get strangers behind). We are trying to do the same with ours, a narrative project (www.catch22movie.com) with very heavy addiction and drug abuse themes, by taking measures to raise addiction awareness and understand through our Addiction Monologues interview series (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 30CbSNzR4V) and donating some of the future film proceeds to the Partnership of Drug Free.org. I'll definitely share this through my networks though, great work.
    Josh Folan
    Writer/Director/Producer
    http://www.catch22movie.com

Like the film on facebook @ [url]facebook.com/catch.22.film[/url]