First Kickstarter Campaign-Magnetic Breakaway Dog Collar
  • amposey
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

First Kickstarter Campaign-Magnetic Breakaway Dog Collar

by amposey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:29 pm

I launched my first Kickstarter campaign yesterday. It has a small goal of $750 and is a Product Design project. If anyone has any advice on gaining backers/recognition/getting the word out, I'd be happy to hear it!

The Proper Collar magnetic breakaway dog collar was created after my dog was in an accident at our local dog park. Her jaw got caught in another dog's collar. She almost broke her neck and the other dog as almost strangled. Every year thousands of dogs are killed from collar strangulation from fences, floor vents, branches, other dogs caught in their collars, etc. This led me to develop and create a collar that uses magnet which are strong enough for everyday use and can be used with a leash (it has 2 d-rings that clip together), but will breakaway in dangerous situations.

Please check out my project and give me some feedback (or back it!).
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... per-collar

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: First Kickstarter Campaign-Magnetic Breakaway Dog Collar

by sbriggman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:42 pm

Interesting project. Super cute dog. My main concern would be you say the collar is customized to the dog's weight....how do you take that into account when producing them (for the strength of the magnet). Feel like that may be a manufacturing nightmare if you need bulk order quantities.

My other thought was if the force is naturally large when the dog is trying to pull away (how big dogs will just start charging, sometimes suddenly), would the collar hold? I would be afraid it wouldn't and since the dog is my pet, I would be responsible for anything that happened.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • amposey
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by amposey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:51 pm

There are three sizes of magnets that I order in bulk. Based on the dog's weight, I use what magnet has the strength that best fits that weight. The three sizes have a weight range. The customization comes in when making them for each dog's specific neck size and adding in the proper magnet size. Since the collars have to be cut for the neck size anyway, it doesn't add any time. I don't expect to ever produce bulk quantities or bring my product into retail markets except single customer orders placed online.

The magnets hold for general use such as pulling a dog into their kennel or trying to stop them, (they hold more weight when pulled from the side than if pulled from the top, like if the dog was caught on something), but with any breakaway collar, they will break off if pulled with great force. The collar doesn't break away if the dog is on leash, however, no matter how hard they pull (unless they can bend welded metal). The leash clips two D-rings together so that even if the magnet comes undone, the leash remains in place.

Thanks for the feedback! If you have any more suggestions, let me know!
  • PlanZ
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by PlanZ » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:13 pm

I really like this idea, as a dog owner, I understand its purpose.
    gear-wise
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by gear-wise » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:43 pm

hello, my name is Kirk. I just joined this Forum as im getting ready to launch a kickstarter of my own. I found your post because my product is a dog leash, and a similar items search found yours. I saw your campaign page and actually really like your idea. I was disappointed (and surprised) to see that it wasnt able to get funded...

If youre willing to share, id love to hear any feedback or thoughts you might have on your experience.

please let me know if you would be willing to chat a bit =)

Thanks and best regards,
    Kirk