Our kickstarter dessert campaign went stagnant
  • ourlilbakery
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Our kickstarter dessert campaign went stagnant

by ourlilbakery » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:35 am

Hi everyone,
    We launched our kickstarter project about 2 weeks ago for our dessert company. We have seemed to hit a slump and are trying to think of how to amp it up. Our business is veteran owned and operated in Cheyenne, WY. We donate a portion of proceeds made throughout the year to charities benefiting wounded warriors. At the end of each year we also donate goodies and gifts to those less fortunate. We have a great cause and are trying to build a strong foundation to our business. We have met our goal but the more support we get, the sooner our business can make a bigger impact on our community. Check out our link and let us know if you have any advice. Thanks a lot. http://kck.st/1dOw2ZA. We offer great tasting desserts and every backer will also receive 20% off until 15 January, 2015.

• consorte
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Our kickstarter dessert campaign went stagnant

by consorte » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:11 am

I'm definitely not a Kickstarter guru yet and need some help for my own project on here to get funded, but I was the Director of Ecommerce for David's Cookies about 5 years ago (they're pretty big, and on the wholesale side they supply many top chains in the country with cookie dough & muffin batter - you may have seen them on HSN) and might be able to offer a little advice in that regard.

We did some things that got us some nice press, though it didn't necessarily turn into increased revenues (more online-centric marketing did that for us and we did quite well). You're in the middle of Christmas season so my advice from the 2 years I spent working for a very large manufacturer of baked goods would be to capitalize on that as much as you can, but you have to hurry. Look to other interesting events in the news, too. For example, during the 2008 elections, we made a "cookie poll" where we sold political message cookies (12" diameter) with each of the candidates' names on them. That got us onto CBC Canada (the CNN of Canada, a big deal). We also did some press releases that got us noticed for other things and found our way into Good Housekeeping magazine as one of the top mail order dessert companies of 2007(?).

The employer I had before starting my own businesses did a thing for Thanksgivukkah for one of their friends/clients (every 100 years Thanksgiving falls on the same day as Hanukkah) and they got some great press for it.

With your stuff, on Kickstarter, with a month to go, I'm not sure if there's a quick thing you can do that's newsworthy.

You might try searching google news for some of the top companies in your space and see what they're up to - it might give you ideas. Fairytale Brownies comes to mind. I'd also suggest looking up old episodes of Shark Tank to see what food people came up with that was of interest to the sharks.
  • ourlilbakery
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ourlilbakery » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:59 am

That is definitely some good advice, maybe I can try to run some sort of local press release to get some local attention. I'm sure people are more willing to support a cause if it is in their own backyard. Thanks for the tips, we'll get on it!
  • consorte
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by consorte » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:30 am

Sure, I hope it helps. We did a press release through PRWeb, but the $400 price tag probably wouldn't make sense for your campaign. We did get a piece of local news organically the other day, and if you skim through it you'll see how it isn't actually focused on the Kickstarter, but more focused on how we're a marketing company that tries unique things to get the team's creative juices flowing - things that we wouldn't normally try for clients, as our core competency is not Kickstarter. Think about what makes you different - what your 'unique value proposition' is. Maybe you already addressed that but kickstarter videos aren't playing for me for some reason right now.

It might be a bit late for this but you can also try editing your page and putting some keywords in there. It's not really fully 'optimizing' your page, but it might help.

Anyway, good luck with it.