Insurance and medical bills for skids
    Maryldeva
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Insurance and medical bills for skids

by Maryldeva » Wed May 04, 2022 11:15 am

Has anyone had a situation involving the garden variety terrible skid who racks up medical bills and your SO just keeps paying them?

My SO has a 22 year old daughter who is quite terrible to him most of the time. She has been supposedly diagnosed with BPD and we try to keep that in mind. They haven't seen each other in over 12 months, she doesn't want to see him. She never asks about him and they really have no relationship. She texts or emails when she needs something from him, but that's the extent of the relationship. In the past she has said that she doesn't really see him as a part of her future. It hurt him a lot, but he seems to be making peace with the estranged relationship. For the most part, she's not really a part of our lives, but about once a month there is SOMETHING.

The latest is she had some sort of medical concern and took herself to the ER. She told him she was going to the ER at the time, but then wouldn't update him afterward. He spent days worried, trying to make sure she was OK, no response. After a while, he had to just assume all was well because he hadn't heard anything further, and his son said she was still texting with him (her brother) about nonsense things. Then today, the bill hits the credit card - $2700 for her visit to the emergency room for whatever it was that turned out to be nothing. This is her 3rd ER visit in the last 18 months. She is a sometimes college student who somewhat supports herself but still needs financial help for some things. I'm all for keeping kids on our insurance (26 in the US) so long as that makes sense, but it's frustrating that he has to keep paying these large out of pocket medical bills for her, but he isn't deserving of getting a quick update that says "hey, I'm OK, back home, doc said XYZ". She doesn't respect him enough to update him or alleviate his concerns, but she needs those bills paid. He also pays out of pocket for her counseling now because his employer switched insurance plans and daughter's counselor was no longer covered and she didn't want to switch to another one. Also out of pocket is some expensive acne medication because that's the one she wants to take and she didn't do the required form to get insurance coverage. Etc.

Where is the line of responsibility here? I know SO does not want to stop providing medical insurance for her, but so long as he does and she has no consequences for her crappy treatment of him or running up the bills, I assume she'll just keep using it, racking up the out of pocket expenses until....what? she turns 26? Can we remove kids from our insurance if it turns out they're ungrateful humans?? Does that make us bad parents? Wonder if it's possible to make her the responsible party for the outstanding expenses, although I doubt SO would ever do that. I wonder if covering these medical costs for her is his one way of staying connected with her.

I'd love any similar experience stories or other opinions/thoughts. Once this stuff is brewing for me, I am soothed by hearing what others think. Thanks all!

virginuso
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Insurance and medical bills for skids

by virginuso » Fri May 06, 2022 7:12 am

I had a situation similar to yours when my insurance covered the hospital bills of people I didn't know. Most likely it was some kind of mistake, but because of this mistake I had to spend my precious time, which I already haven't due to my work and resolve this whole situation. When I was reading about different insurance, I came across a blog https://www.lifeinsuranceblog.net/5-mil ... olicy-cost / which says that many of the insurance that people buy do not meet their expectations or these insurances make some mistakes because of which people can get damaged. Also, for myself in the future, I will definitely buy insurance for five million dollars, since I considered it more reliable than other insurance. I hope you all are doing well, good luck!