Hardworking Filmmaker Looking to Make Friends
  • dominickevans
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Hardworking Filmmaker Looking to Make Friends

by dominickevans » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:33 am

Hello Everyone!

My name is Dominick Evans. I am 32 years old and I am a filmmaker. I also happen to be a civil rights activist, particularly when it comes to disability rights and LGBT rights! I was born with a degenerative muscle disease, Spinal Muscular Atrophy, which put me into a wheelchair are the age of 16. In spite of that, I have never let anything stop me! I have had many setbacks, including an injury, which left me bed ridden for five years. One day, I got into my wheelchair and said, I have to stop letting life pass me by. With intense Physical Therapy and a lot of medication, I was back in school to finish my degree within a year. I still struggle with chronic pain, regularly.

In 2010, I returned to Wright State University and entered their highly competitive film program. I made it through all of their cuts and am now a senior. The program was endorsed by Tom Hanks and it is the hardest program on campus. We started with over 100 in our first class and my class now has 8 people. I will be the first to receive a BFA in Motion Pictures Production who has a significant disability. I worked my rear off, which often meant 16 hour work days! I'll also receive a second degree when I graduate in 2014, in Political Science. My focus has been in Civil Rights. I have spoken publicly about civil rights issues and I also can sing. I have several years of vocal training!

Last year, my class spent months critiquing scripts. Only three were chosen to be made into our junior thesis films and mine was one of them. We filmed in May and completed reshoots this month. We're in the midst of finishing editing the film. From what everyone has seen, the film looks very promising. My professors (Academy award nominated filmmakers) are impressed. I have a great chance of getting the film in some festivals, but I cannot finish it without help! I have started a Kickstarter.

I'm told a lot of times, family helps, but I don't have much family. My older brother, donated, which is amazing because we were not raised together, but my dad died when I was 20. My grandfather, who I was very close with and one of the few to support my endeavors, died less than a month ago. I am finishing my film in his memory. My mother and I don't talk. She doesn't accept me, for who I am, and so I've been on my own pretty much since my dad died. Luckily, I have a great girlfriend who I've been with for 11 years (this November), whose family loves me.

I'd love it if you'd share my Kickstarter for my film, Trip, and if you love my page/the video, consider donating a little bit of money! The funds will go for post-production costs (sound editing, color correction) in NYC.

I look forward to talking to you all!

Trip is a hedonistic relationship drama about a teen mother who must choose between what feels good and what is necessary for a better life.

Find out how you can benefit from donating to Trip!

http://www.tripshortfilm.com/Trip/landing_page.html
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Hardworking Filmmaker Looking to Make Friends

by sbriggman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:48 pm

Hi Dominick. Wow! Very inspirational story! All of your hard work is a great example for others aspiring to realize their dreams. I backed you for a small amount on Kickstarter.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • dominickevans
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Hardworking Filmmaker Looking to Make Friends

by dominickevans » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:29 am

I really appreciate the support!
    Trip is a hedonistic relationship drama about a teen mother who must choose between what feels good and what is necessary for a better life.

Find out how you can benefit from donating to Trip!

http://www.tripshortfilm.com/Trip/landing_page.html