Today is 9/11 and my pledges are at $911
  • colorolors
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Today is 9/11 and my pledges are at $911

by colorolors » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:16 pm

I find it odd that on this day of remembrance 9/11 my kickstarter pledges are at $911. 911 is for emergency and oddly enough a business that I owned many years back was called 911-1 Restoration. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194 ... olor-olors

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Today is 9/11 and my pledges are at $911

by sbriggman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:51 pm

That is pretty strange! 7k seems like a lot for a children's book. Where do all the costs go?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • colorolors
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by colorolors » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:45 pm

There are 14 books in this collection. Each book has 32 pages, 29 of which are color illustrations. All of the money would be going to illustrating, printing and publishing the books. Illustrating and printing is very, very expensive. The $7,000 is only the start of it all and would help me to get approximately 6 or so of the books completed. I would then be able to turn around and put the proceeds from the sales of the first 6 books into illustrations, printing and publishing the other 8. I am still hopeful of course that my kickstarter is funded but it is not looking so good right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194 ... olor-olors
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:03 am

Have you considered launching a project for one book and then based on the reward tier, people can decide to receive 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 based on the number of books of the collection they would like? This would decrease your goal, making it easier to obtain, and still allow you to take in orders for larger quantities.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • colorolors
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by colorolors » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Yes, once this kickstarter campaign is finished I may redo it with a lesser goal :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194 ... olor-olors
  • MichaelTumey
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by MichaelTumey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:40 pm

What Sbriggman suggests is what I did with my Kickstarter. I planned on writing 5 books, but made the first book only as the goal of the KS, with each subsequent book as it's own stretch goal. So goal was $3750 with the fourth stretch goal at $16,500.

Your project still looks very pricey to me. My $3750 goal covers the writing, illustration, editing, cover design for a 248 page full color interior soft cover book. Orders for print books (backer level: $45) covers the cost of printing with added shipping. So backers pay full price for the print book. I have no needs to take the proceeds of one book or set of books to pay for the next set. I ask for backers to pay for all my intended books in the same project, just each as a goal or stretch goal. All my books were successfully funded, receiving $6800 over my last stretch goal.

If I ran a KS desiring to publish 14 books as in your case, I set a goal for the first book, then have 13 stretch goals behind. Whatever, I didn't fund, I might run another KS to pay for the rest.

KS recommends that $3200 is the optimal goal to get successfully funded, so I'd shoot for that price level and go from there.
    25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide Kickstarter - create stunning RPG maps using any standard graphics software.