My Insane Shakespeare Project
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

My Insane Shakespeare Project

by sbriggman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:30 am

This project was created by VIP forum member AsaArt

I backed it and recommend checking it out if you're interested in plays and theater :). Check out the project here.

d58136dd6e4118c35ed28b68bee0d03e_large.jpg
    d58136dd6e4118c35ed28b68bee0d03e_large.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

My Insane Shakespeare.

An original play by Arthur Elbakyan premiering October 13th at United Solo, New York City.

One performer, 10 characters, and “My Insane Shakespeare". This original play is written, directed and performed by independent actor and director Arthur Elbakyan.

Elbakyan has been invited to present his solo performance “My Insane Shakespeare” at the 2014 United Solo Theatre Festival this fall. This is a wonderful opportunity to perform and share his new play in the world‑famous theatre district on 42nd Street in New York City.

The opening night of “My Insane Shakespeare” on October 13th, 2014 is Sold Out. A second date has been added on October 19th, 2014, and is currently a Bestseller.

About the Play

“What is better, to be in a mental hospital among normal people or to be free among the insane? This is one of the questions I ask in my performance,” says the playwright.

A true story full of Shakespearean passions, the play is a reflection on human character, behavior and relationships. The main character of the play is an actor, whose close friends have committed him to a mental hospital against his own will. Through improvisation and impersonation of ten different characters, Elbakyan analyzes life, love and hatred, rulers of the world, human rights, and freedom of speech.

“This play is about how an individual, betrayed by his close friends, doesn’t break down in an insane asylum but instead, against all odds, finds inner strength and willpower to live, love and create. I tell this true story with my paintings, which make up part of the stage design,” says Elbakyan.

Shakespeare has always been a contemporary writer of times. By drawing parallels between our modern day life and the days of Shakespeare, Elbakyan discovers that over time, relationships and values haven’t changed at all. Moreover, Shakespeare's "to be, or not to be" has become even more of a burning question today.

About the Author

Arthur Elbakyan is an independent actor, theatre, film, and television director and producer. Having lived in Armenia, Russia, Europe and the United States, Elbakyan has played over 30 leading theatre roles and has been the author and host of numerous television shows. Elbakyan was the founder of the Theatre Studio “13” and also co-founded the first independent television channel in Armenia “AR”. Elbakyan’s passion for theatre was strong enough to bring theatre to television with his introduction of a series of television shows, “It’s Majesty Theatre”, on the National Television of Armenia, taking the audience to the unique world of theatre and performing arts. Among his recent achievements is the Best Documentary Short Award at the Los Angeles Film and Script Festival

Check out the project here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/my ... hakespeare

Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • RICSB
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: My Insane Shakespeare Project

by RICSB » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:30 pm

On my bookshelf behind my desk I have The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. To conceive of and weave into a plot and perform it all by the same person is a massive undertaking. Just the premise to me is intriguing. In my youth I attened the Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City -- as an aside: at the same time Kate Jackson did. I'm familiar with several opf the Shakespearean soliloquies and have always loved the cadence and to have that rhythm strewn across ten characters sound wonder fully inventive. Just to see how it is all put together and to witness the final result would be something in which I'd definitely partake. I wish you the author luck and success.
  • RICSB
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by RICSB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Shakespear is timeless. Case in point: I just watched an episode of Dr. Who where in the doc and Martha helped Shakespear with a new play: Love's labours Won. I think anything related to the bard, if done with intelligence, should do well.
  • Warriorofheaven1
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Warriorofheaven1 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:45 pm

One of my all time beloved plays. This is a great idea
  • sayheylo
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by sayheylo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:24 pm

great idea and implementation. also a kickstarter staff pick.. and I would personally and definitely back this up.. BUT it had in the end just 189 USD, from 8 backers.. and it was just and only 8.000 USD the goal (very very low if we compare such projects demand 50.000 or 100.000).. how is that possible??

IN ADDITION; it was a all-or-nothing project.. so that backers could even back this project up without having a risk of failure (fixed funding, it the goal cannot be reached all would be refund..)

I don`t understand really. it`s against my hopes and beliefs about crowdfunding atmosphere.