A Word of Caution to ALL Kickstarters
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: A Word of Caution to ALL Kickstarters

by Charles » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:38 am

Davy,

I checked out your project again, this evening. I see that you've posted an update, along with a photo of your head, after an accident.

I hope that you get well soon!

- Charles -

Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
  • brettbrooks
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by brettbrooks » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:59 am

Good write-up. I've had friends deal with some of these same issues. Really glad you took the time to bring some awareness to some of these issues!
    EmceeGuy
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by EmceeGuy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:08 pm

I'm almost a week into my campaign, and I've gotten little to no traction. Still at 3% funded, with a lot to go. I've read a lot about campaigns that can pick up at the drop of a hat, and I am still working a lot of contacts I have, so I am still hopeful for pick up. However, I feel you. Without ad dollars it can be hard.

Random tip - Go to ads.twitter.com. Register a twitter handle that you are interested in promoting your project from, and set up an account there. It will ask that you register a credit card. If you do this, it should credit your account $100. Twitter occasionally does this for new ad accounts to encourage users to promote on Twitter. If you are lucky, you could get $100 free to promote there.

Its been a few days since you posted, but your campaign is looking like its doing well so far. More than half way there! Don't lose hope! good Luck!
    "There's only one thing that will make them stop hating you. And that's being so good at what you do that they can't ignore you."

Check out my Kickstarter to revive Key To The Kingdom, as a mobile app: http://kck.st/1qjcoqd

~ EmceeGuy
    nomlinz
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by nomlinz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:38 pm

It's absolutely devastating to launch your idea (pretty much your baby that you've nurtured for however long) and having it not get the fanfare that you know it should have.

However, I'm truly happy for you that your project is successfully funded!

Some thoughts for other project creators out there in their first foray into Kickstarter:
    1. Kickstarter will NOT bring a crowd for you. People think that launching on Kickstarter their idea will get 100% funded in no time and Kickstarter will do all the work.

It's counterintuitive, but Kickstarter is actually a multiplier. This means that you have to do the work to bring in your OWN audience first. Once you have people backing your project (your own audience) and traffic to the page, Kickstarter will then FINALLY start getting the word about your project out there to the world.

It's pretty much a way for Kickstarter to make money: if it sees that your project is able to raise money on their platform (they get a percentage cut), then they'll be more likely to show your campaign off to others in their network who are also likely to back your project.

2. The main way to have your own crowd for your crowdfunding campaign when you launch is to create a landing page. I wrote about it in detail here: https://crushcrowdfunding.com/pre-launch-101-creating-a-list-of-super-engaged-backers-before-you-launch/

3. Once you have your crowd (in the form of an email list), THEN you can safely launch on crowdfunding. You'll get those pledges on the first day and activate Kickstarter's secret algorithm that will promote you in their own networks.

Best of luck to all others out there!
    - Nalin
    Hi! I run the popular blog Crush Crowdfunding and have helped people successfully raise over $7 million on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Get the proven step-by-step system to launch a successful crowdfunding campaign: http://bit.ly/crushcfhandbook