World's Largest Database of College and University Rankings
  • compwiz02
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

World's Largest Database of College and University Rankings

by compwiz02 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:04 am

Hello!

The Mission: Create the World's Largest Database of Colleges and Universities from every country and sort them out by ranking, tuition price, area of study, location, etc. Also, create a matchmaker that will match your passion/what you love to do most with the right career.

The Objective: Make it easier for high school graduates and college students to find the right college regardless of what country they live in. Also make it easier for them to find the right career based on what they love doing. Too many people struggling to find the right college and end up transferring to a different college or picking a career they hate because they can't find the right career for themselves.

Check out the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/worldwideuniversalcollegeranking

Once I get enough likes, I'll launch a Kickstarter.

What do you guys think?

My Project: https://www.facebook.com/worldwideuniversalcollegeranking

Support the Project by clicking "Like" and "Sharing" it with your friends!
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: World's Largest Database of College and University Ranki

by sbriggman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:23 pm

Once I get enough likes, I'll launch a Kickstarter.

That's a really cool idea as a way to gauge interest. Seems like a very large undertaking (matching + the rankings). What about current ways that magazines rank colleges and such? How do you think it's better?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • compwiz02
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by compwiz02 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:04 pm

That's a really cool idea as a way to gauge interest.

Thanks. The most challenging part is figuring out what to post on the facebook page every day. There is always an increase in likes everyday, whether it's a small increase or a big increase, but still an increase. And I'm always trying to figure out what should I post to keep people interested. Right now, the only ideas I have is to post up interesting facts and quotes about college :)

Seems like a very large undertaking (matching + the rankings).

Oh trust me, I know. But then again, I'm ready to accept the challenge. No site on the planet has fulfilled that undertaking and if there is a site, that site has not been discovered yet.

What about current ways that magazines rank colleges and such? How do you think it's better?

Problem with magazines is......who owns a magazine? You have online magazines but online magazines are hard to find. They are also static. It's all print media. You can't change anything....you can only read. Magazines also rank colleges by specific criteria such as tuition price and rankings. My project will rank colleges by multiple criteria and will allow people to change the criteria using dropboxes and tick boxes so that the displayed results change depending on the criteria selected.

• DRONEGUY
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by DRONEGUY » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:48 pm

pretty cool....
  • JumpStarter
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by JumpStarter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:04 am

I agree it is a large undertaking and I am your target market, as I have a kid going to college soon. For me, I think if you broke it down into what majors the college or university is known for and cost, that would be what I would be interested in.
    As to matching what the kid wants to be, I think that would be difficult as they probably won't figure it out until they mature.

As a kickstarter project, you might have additional struggles as the demographics for Kickstarter viewers and most social media users are against you. Check out Quantcast for Kickstarter demos.

I hate to discourage anyone, and I have been wrong before. Just not sure. I hope you prove me wrong.

That is the great thing about Kickstarter, you can set up a campaign for almost free. Good Luck!

KS Kickstarter link: http://kck.st/1njkZYk

Thunderclap promotion link: https[/b][/b]://www.thunderclap.it/projects/12687-promote-inovation-creativity?locale=en
  • compwiz02
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by compwiz02 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:16 am

For me, I think if you broke it down into what majors the college or university is known for and cost, that would be what I would be interested in.

Yes, the database will allow you to filter out what are best colleges or universities for any major you select. You can also sort out the colleges by tuition price and location. So.....for example, the best 2-year or 4-year university with a semester tuition of $2,000 with a major in journalism located in Nebraska ;)

As to matching what the kid wants to be, I think that would be difficult as they probably won't figure it out until they mature.

For sure, kids will still be young. The objective is to give them an idea. When I was 18 years old, I loved gaming and fixing computers, but nobody gave me the idea that I had a future in gaming or fixing computers. I was just told to get my degree and study a lot of math. To this day, I have not graduated college and I am working in gaming and I fix computers from time to time. I had to figure out what career I wanted to pursue based on my own dream to do what I love doing. The lack of resources and tools to figure out what careers are possible for you is very limited and so I am hoping I can make this possible.

As a kickstarter project, you might have additional struggles as the demographics for Kickstarter viewers and most social media users are against you. Check out Quantcast for Kickstarter demos.

My biggest challenge is marketing materials. I don't have anything to show people except a few images I made that shows what the project might look like. I have the idea....I just need the support and money to make it happen. And yea, not many kickstarter projects out there that involve college. A lot of unique projects out there that are really really specific. But you'll never know how successful or possible it can be if you don't try. If I can convince people that this can work and people spread it via word of mouth, I'm sure it will do well :)