Crowdfunding Small ($500 or Less) Projects?
    Hentai
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Crowdfunding Small ($500 or Less) Projects?

by Hentai » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:12 pm

Does anyone know how effective Kickstarter is for small campaigns? Specifically campaigns that are $500 or less depending on estimates to get CDs pressed. While not a lot for most people for a struggling musician trying to put himself through school pressing my first CD is a significant investment and is one I am hoping to crowdfund, why I am doing my research now.

Does anyone have any experience with such a small campaign? How was it for you? And for a site with Indie in its name I guess my CD project is to Indie for IndieGoGo seeing as when I looked into them earlier they wouldn't even let me start a campaign for less than $500.

• EvilDicey
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Crowdfunding Small ($500 or Less) Projects?

by EvilDicey » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:17 am

I can't saw I've got any hard facts for you but when I was looking at Indiegogo, they have a flexible funding option which allows you keep whatever you raise, even if you don't reach your goal, which may put some people off. (what happens to their money then). They do however offer a fixed funding which is the same as kickstarter though. My opinion would be stick with a fixed funding option.

Again, when I was doing a little bit of research and looked at smaller projects, the people I spoke to were a little perplexed and angry that I was trying to raise such a small amount. A lot were of the mentality of if I worked part time flipping burgers for 6 months I'd probably have enough money to fund it that way.

I'm not saying this to try and deter you or be negative in anyway but giving you some info they I learned along the way.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Crowdfunding Small ($500 or Less) Projects?

by sbriggman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Good question. It's definitely easier to hit your goal if you have a smaller goal, as friend and family and professional connection pledges will be a larger percentage.

This 17 year old Kickstarter creator had a £170 goal and raised £12,000. Pretty cool!

See the thread: funded-in-3-hours-dragon-bones-metal-dice-kickstarter-t1982.html?hilit=dice

His project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... aming-dice

The fact that he had a low goal didn't seem to deter people from getting excited about his project.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.