Backers cancelling pledges
    inflexionUSA
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: Backers cancelling pledges

by inflexionUSA » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 pm

LeatherDiceBags wrote:I seem to have a small stream of people who have cancelled their pledges. One or two offered the explanation that they had impulse pledged and were now reconsidering. I wonder if Kickstarter would consider adding a text field to the cancelling process and requiring backers to offer the reason they are backing out.

Does this happen to most projects? Anyone else have any experience with this?

Hi Mary,

I would like to offer my apologies to you as I clearly did not answer a simple question you asked.

(backer cancellation) ... “Anyone else have any experience with this?”

My answer is no, I did not have any backers, back out. However, given more time, more backers and other circumstances that could have changed.

Concerning your point about Kickstarter providing a text field for backers to provide a reason for canceling, since they do as Sarah stated, I think project creators should petition Kickstarter to provide that information to us.

I realize that you must be quite busy with your successful campaign and I am sure that all of your backers, including me, will be quite pleased.

I wish you continued success and hope that I speak for the entire Kickstarter Forum community in saying ...

Thank you Mary, for your excellent questions and insight to details about this difficult process. Many of us would not have been aware of the points you’ve discussed. You are an asset to this community, please continue to add your valuable input!

James

James Wissel / inflexionUSA.com

Website http://inflexionusa.com
    Twitter inflexion@inflexionusa
    Email inflexion@inflexionUSA.com
  • MichaelTumey
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by MichaelTumey » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:36 am

I had 2 backers pull out over the past 6 days of my Kickstarter, one a $25 pledge and another a $70 pledge, however, of the second, about an hour after backing out she repledged and sent me a private mail apologizing about have once backed out. She thought there was a problem with her payment. After discovering she was in error, she pledged once more.

I responded back to her, that I was disappointed when she backed out, however, I completely understood, and was glad she re-pledged.

That said, I can perfectly understand situations where a pledge-maker might need to back out. Maybe they over-committed themselves on other Kickstarters, maybe a different Kickstarter offerred a new backer level, that they wanted more than another. Maybe their spouse was getting angry at them for spending so much money that month, and being in a relationship was more important than a backer for somebody's Kickstarter. The point is there are any number of reasons and all are pretty much understandable.

If backers were pulling out in droves, I'd be concerned, but a few here and there - I think that's expected and reasonable to occur. I wouldn't let it fret you.
    25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide Kickstarter - create stunning RPG maps using any standard graphics software.
    Game-inglove
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Game-inglove » Sat May 31, 2014 8:59 pm

So happy get my first 2nd party backer on day one of my campaign and what a kick in the teeth when he cancelled. Highs and Lows of Kickstarter. Only day 3 but time goes fast! I emailed him and he said he wasn't sure the product would work for him and I told him we may never know now. He was polite and I was back but what a bummer.
  • themusicchamber
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by themusicchamber » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:40 am

I have seen that sometime this is the real reason as I too will make decision based on impulse and later I will realize that this is not something I am interested in.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:14 pm

@game-inglove Wow that really sucks. Don't be deterred. Keep at it! :)
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • Ryan_Rist
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Ryan_Rist » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:31 pm

I just had my first backer cancel his pledge :/ it's always great to see notifications about your project but this one was a bit disappointing. He said he initially backed because he wanted to help my project get funded, and when it went past the goal he didn't feel a reason to back. I'm thinking he wasn't 100% into my product in the first place then!

Here's my project if you want to check it out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... m-coasters

It's my first project, I'd love any feedback and advice!
    I'm a high school entrepreneur and my Kickstarter is now live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... m-coasters
  • SkyTower
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by SkyTower » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:01 am

Interesting, I hope it wont happen to my project.