41% Funded at Half-way Point
  • wsalazar
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

41% Funded at Half-way Point

by wsalazar » Wed May 21, 2014 3:52 am

So far I'm delighted with the progress of my campaign. Momentum has been slower but steady in week 2. But now I'm worried. My wealthiest friends have already contributed and I'm having a hard time figuring out where the final 59% is going to come from. I asked everyone to post, tweet, pin, blog, and use every social media outlet they have to spread word of the project (and one friend immediately tweeted to his 2,600 followers). I also created a Facebook event for the final day of my campaign and invited everyone. If I could figure out how to get press coverage that would do the trick, but it's hard with photography to get coverage before the project is done. Any ideas?

• Butterfly Heights
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: 41% Funded at Half-way Point

by Butterfly Heights » Wed May 21, 2014 12:30 pm

Mate if i was you I would walk the streets offering to take photos of people in touristy areas and then tell em about your project ... good luck to ya i say , good luck
    buildingv
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by buildingv » Wed May 21, 2014 4:49 pm

@ Wayne,

I realized that sending out press releases is an awesome way to gain supporters, but the problem is your campaign has already begun. It's better to reach out to people prior to launching the campaign. That being said, did you mail out support letters to family and friends? Do you have a blog? Blogging can help gain followers. Also, contact a few local businesses in your area. I have only 7 days left of my campaign and unfortunately I raised only like 5%. Although, I didn't raise alot of money, I have gained tons of followers and have made a lot of connections with people.
  • wsalazar
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by wsalazar » Wed May 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks for your suggestions! I did send out press releases -- but as I said, photo blogs cover finished projects pretty much exclusively, unless they're also backed by a major publisher (like Humans of New York, which has a great gimmick but poor photos, IMO). I do blog but don't have more than a couple dozen followers. I just got a major business with 23,000 Facebook followers to post it on their page and just now got my first pledge from a total stranger!
  • ian
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ian » Thu May 22, 2014 2:40 am

I'd say a steady stream at your stage is just fine, based on the conventional wisdom that 90% of projects that pass 30% get funded. A similar rate would get you to 80% by the end, and that's enough that your strongest supporters would probably take you the rest of the way.
    Cubicle Quest - the game about how much work sucks
    ...and what you can do to escape it.
  • wsalazar
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by wsalazar » Thu May 22, 2014 2:56 am

Thanks, Ian, I hope you're right! Still, if anyone has any other tips for Week 3 promotion, let's have 'em and I'll be sure to pay it forward.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Tue May 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Hmm... I get a lot of my marketing ideas by researching similar products/campaigns. I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel haha.

I would try to come up with some ways that you can market the larger tiers to members in your professional network that know the quality of your work. They may have some ideas or suggestions as to people you should speak with.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • Zurich321
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Zurich321 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Yeah, now that we just launched I have a better perspective about keeping the momentum going...
    ------------------------------------------
    JUMBiES - Two Animals in One!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43 ... -in-one-tm
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:33 pm

@Zurich321 Be sure to share any tips you discover to maintain it!
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • wsalazar
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by wsalazar » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:39 pm

I've got three days to go and am down to the wire... I have a donor making a $2 for $1 challenge match for pledges made this week, so if I make it to $7,000 total, he'll pitch in $3,000 to get me to goal. Still need another $1,000, but the challenge is definitely helping.