What is your day job? What is your passion project?
    ToyRocketStudios
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: What is your day job? What is your passion project?

by ToyRocketStudios » Wed May 07, 2014 1:55 am

Good evening everyone, I'm a brand new user! My name is Greg.

What is your day job?
    I work as a full-time manager for a big-box retailer. I hold two BFAs: Graphic Design and Photography.
    My night job is full-time father, husband and graphic artist.

One of my peers approached me with an idea; he was inspired by templates used to create halloween pumpkins and is extremely talented with paper snowflakes. Mike wanted to somehow combine the two. We created Toy Rocket Studios that very day, and dream of a day when we can run the studio full-time.

What is your passion project?
    Currently, SNO, a book of die-cut paper snowflake templates (patent pending). We have spent the better part of a year hand crafting each design and being this close to completion is exciting!

SNO is falling, you can check out our beautiful new campaign at:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/to ... snowflakes

If you take a look and like it, please share it, just helping to get the word out would be tremendous.
  • Savage71
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Savage71 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:35 pm

For a "day job", I have been working in the office for a restaurant delivery service. My passion project though, is getting my photography business going as a full time comfortable income. Putting out things such as postcards and books of my work is what I have been doing, as well as freelance photo work.

My Kickstarter campaign for my "I Love Oregon" postcards is one step in reaching that goal.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/27 ... ?ref=email
  • Afarifteh
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Afarifteh » Thu May 08, 2014 12:32 pm

My job is as a freelance concept artist, which I have a Postgraduate degree in. While I love what I do, my passion project and my kickstarter is to be able to produce and create games based on my own ideas and IP's, and my so my kickstarter project and my passion project is a continuation of game I started working on as part of my Postgraduate degree, with the eventual goal of continuing to be able to make games that are my own IP, that I enjoy playing and make a living of that, while I do absolutely love just being able to make art for a living anyways.
  • soapskeptics
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by soapskeptics » Thu May 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Crowd Funding classes in NYC?! Count me in! That sounds awesome!

I am a part of an art collective called SoapSkeptics. We just created it a few months ago, but we have been thinking about this for years now.

We are launching out KickStarter on May 14, 2014 !!

Our Project is to travel across America in search for the meaning of art and culture in this ever shifting society of technology. Rosie and I (Andrea) are both artists, and we find ourselves to be so old school- crocheting, painting, drawing, wood burning, etc. But now with 3-D printers, these crazy cameras, social networking, everyones an artist! Everyone can make something with very little skill! So our purpose of traveling to different cities is to see how geography and culture can affect an artist's practice.

Rosie is working at a day care in New Jersey while I am JUST GRADUATING from the School of Visual Arts in a weeks time. Then I will find a job, probably waitressing so I can save up some quick cash for this trip. :)

If anyone has an interest/advice check us out:
    www.facebook.com/soapskeptics/1
    www.soapskeptics.blogspot.com
    @soapskeptics
    soapskeptics@gmail.com

Peace!
  • DSPictures
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by DSPictures » Fri May 09, 2014 7:10 am

My day job is admin based within an office, it's not a career or anything and is mostly there so I can pay my bills and fund my creative outlets. I want to be a writer mostly, but I dabble here and there with directing as well.

You can see my latest project here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pers ... /x/7379707
  • stephjiang
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by stephjiang » Fri May 09, 2014 1:09 pm

Hey guys! I'm new here. Launched my first Kickstarter campaign 3 days ago, and really wish I discovered you guys earlier! Lots of useful stuff here.

I was a technical (fashion) designer, but I quit my day job so I could focus on working on Lazy Creatures, my own loungewear line. I've been researching and prototyping for 6 months now, and it has cumulated in one of the softest tops I have ever worn: http://kck.st/1qc9XKc

Lazy Creatures is now my day job, and also my passion project. I haven't received much support from the Kickstarter community so far (81% of my funders are friends, family, friends of friends/family, mailing list people, etc), so I'm really excited to read through the forums & Crowdcrux to see what I can do to reach my goal.

Thanks for having me!
  • Marcos_Gonzalez
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Marcos_Gonzalez » Fri May 09, 2014 3:52 pm

Former (although sometimes still ;) filmmaker, full time inventor. My passion, now that I think about it -- is creating stuff that makes life easier! I've always been an outdoor's kinda guy and have always loved fishing, and well, enter Kickstarter. "Invent in what you know" I guess is the paraphrased saying (a variation of this saying is practiced among writers, too, I think). So -- my invention, which is presently on Kickstarter, is my #1 passion nowadays (actually, for a lot of days!) The Snappycast makes casting easy and fishing fun (it *really* does). I do hope you guys give it a look:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47 ... ishing-rod

It's rocking long nicely after 2 days or so, I'm encouraged.

Great site, and a real pleasure meeting ya'll, Marcos :D
  • EsDonatas
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by EsDonatas » Fri May 09, 2014 5:43 pm

Hey all! I am a recent graduate in Economics. After spending a summer in Klaipeda city (the port of Lithuania, near Baltic sea), I came back to the main campus of the University. I met a few friends and we decided to develop a business. This is how I got involved with launching a project. We want to introduce a new Reusable Notebook, that would be thought-provoking, environment-friendly and with functional binding. If you like, you can have a look at our projct here: http://kck.st/RqZc7d
  • JimmyAk
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by JimmyAk » Fri May 09, 2014 10:45 pm

I am full-time writer.
  • odesieus
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by odesieus » Sat May 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Day Job: Web designer, digital marketing, video production and Dad.

Passion project: Completing my first Science Fiction / Fantasy novel, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jasonleehodges/thorn-of-the-foretold