Raised over 246% on 4th campaign - Ask me anything! (AMA)
  • Nick77
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Raised over 246% on 4th campaign - Ask me anything! (AMA

by Nick77 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Frank9881 wrote:Hi Nick,

You can check out the draft here https://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/bf90f39f. Thanks and I appreciate any feedback you may have.

Quick take: IMHO your campaign is lacking emotion. You're attempting to raise $150K so you better bring the tears, the passion, the urgency of what you are doing.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaXMQS70jfM
    It's not for a campaign, but if it was, they would have very likely raised their goal because it went viral, and you'll see why….because of the emotional heartstrings it pulls.

Indiegogo - here's what you can expect to happen on their platform. As soon as you launch, you will fall off the abyss into never never land. They have an algorithm that depends on traffic that you drive, frequency of contributions, frequency of your updates, frequency of comments, frequency of the extra pictures you add. You will not be 'popular' unless you make it happen with your marketing and network of family and friends, so expect to work very diligently to get out of the abyss and to the top.

I like that you want to pay it forward, but we backers can contribute to our own favorite charities. To get us to buy into the way you are going to do it, you will need to bring forward a powerful message revolving around the impact you plan on making in a way that we know we can't and will never be able to do. See my 'quick take' above and the youtube video I referenced. With what you are setting out to do, you could be the one shooting that youtube video to promote your 'homeless-dog-boarding-room.'

Hope this helps. Good luck! (I grew up with 9 dogs!)

Kickin' it,
    Nick
    http://kck.st/1mjrFc2
  • Frank9881
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Frank9881 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it and will try to incorporate them.
  • justamomnca
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by justamomnca » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Nick,

I have to admit I am so discouraged. You have no idea how hard making a video of any kind is for me, when you talk about cutting away to this, or time lapsing that you are so far over my head it hurts. Would I be better off with no video at all than the one I have? Just let the pictures and the text do my talking? At a loss.............................................. Inga
  • Nick77
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Nick77 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:48 pm

justamomnca wrote:Nick,

I have to admit I am so discouraged. You have no idea how hard making a video of any kind is for me, when you talk about cutting away to this, or time lapsing that you are so far over my head it hurts. Would I be better off with no video at all than the one I have? Just let the pictures and the text do my talking? At a loss.............................................. Inga

Inga,
    I've been exactly where you are so I know the feeling first hand. The blunt truth is that this is the way the game is played. If you want to get a hit in baseball, you need a bat. If you want a hit on Kickstarter, you'll need a "bat" for this game also - and the bat for crowdfunding is a well planned campaign message and the marketing tools to go with it.

If I were betting, I would guess that a campaign without a video and just pictures is not going to be successful. Like I told someone else on this AMA, you're in show business, entertain us - make us feel, make us want what you have, make us want to help you in every way possible, etc., etc., and we will get behind you.

I know you're out to raise funds, but if the video is too much for you and you believe in your product enough, perhaps hiring a shooter and editor is the way to go. Depending on where you live, you might be able to get this done for $2500 or less.
    Kickin' it,
    Nick
  • Nick77
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Nick77 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:01 pm

jvanatta wrote:Hello Nick,
    I have already launched a kickstarter campaign, but have yet to have any success. Is there anything that you would reccommend to make this successful. Our kickstarter can be found at:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... h-assassin

Justin

Justin, Justin, Justin,
    I took a look at your "campaign" and I see that you have no campaign. I see one thumbnail picture (where a video is highly recommended), followed by three sketches/storyboards, followed by about six lines of text. You're a comic book illustrator/storyteller, surely you can weave a story about how your project came to be, where you hope it will go, and connect with us emotionally so we will want to get on the ride with you!

I recommend studying any of the successful campaigns, past and present, that can be found on Kickstarters' Comics category: https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/ad ... popularity

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Kickin' it,
    Nick
  • fernandohsa
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by fernandohsa » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi Nick

I am also running a Kickstarter project. Can I ask you to also give me a feedback, please?

All friends I ask to give me a Feedback they say my campaign is nice but really? So why am I getting more e-mail from people wanting me to buy advertisement from them then actually people pledges! ahahah
    My video doesn't feature me explaining my project, it has videos of situations related with my campaign. I think you might have noticed english isn't my first language so I am not really comfortable being in front of the camera talking to it. I also had my text edited by my friend and I believe that possibly he might have removed or censured a bit of my personality/emotion.
    Anyway if you don't mind giving me your opinion here is the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/46 ... onal-and-s

Congratulations for your projects, i Loved the envelope maker one.

Thank yo for your time, Take care
    Fernando
  • noochiegolf
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by noochiegolf » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi Nick,

well we are about to re launch our campaign. Our product seems to be getting great feedback but we were unsuccessful at our first launch. We lowered our funding goal so not to scare anyone off. If you get a chance could you take a look at it and give me some feedback. http://kck.st/1ov4laA

Thanks,
    JoAnn LoBracco
  • frightentertainment
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by frightentertainment » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:22 am

Greetings Nick,

First and foremost, congrats on 3 successful Kickstarter Campaigns. That's really awesome, and thanks for being here on the forums to help out the rest of us.

With that out of the way, I'd love it if you could take a look over my Kickstarter campaign here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... ini-series

I'd love to know what kind of feedback you might have to help create more interest in the project and get more backers out there. I'm not too upset with the turn-out thus far, but I have a feeling that the numbers are going to dwindle at the pace it's taking, and I could definitely use a second opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
  • Nick77
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Nick77 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:11 am

Hi Fernando,
    Thanks for your question and kind words about my campaign(s).

Quick Take: Your core question in the opening of your video - "Are you having issues with your charging cable?" In my personal experience, I have to answer no. I have MANY devices like you show and have never had any of the experiences you show. Am I alone? I don't know. But judging by the low amount of backers you have, I think I am not alone. Stepping back, I think the lack of success thus far, other than a possible lack of marketing outside of KS, is because your problem is not big enough, not widely felt.

Your campaign, to me, overall looks nice. I do think you miss something huge in your video. There is no personal touch - YOU - and your story. When a strong connection to the project creator is not evident, the product/project has to blow us away, and I don't think yours does. It's not a common enough problem, in my opinion, to get a wide acceptance. Do I think it is a nice product? Yes. Do I think it has a place in the world? Absolutely. Especially because the length of the cord.

I hope I'm not bursting your bubble because I don't intend to. No one knows what will be successful so keep working it. You may simply be missing a marketing push that could put you over the top. Not every project on Kickstarter resonates immediately. There is a tipping point, when enough "social proof" happens, or when that one key person Tweets about an item that pushes it over the top. And that might happen tomorrow, so keep going.

I recently read an article about how one project (I can't recall it at this moment) had just a mediocre backer count. Then, out of the blue, it was picked up by Reddit - BANG, it took off. Then, another Website ran with it, and they found a bigger wave to ride. So, this is not out of the question. You have a lot of positives and just need a few fans. Just don't count on anyone else. Get to work and make it happen for yourself by reaching out to as many people, blogs, Twitterers as you possibly can in the remaining 24 days.

Hope this helps.
    Kickin' it,
    Nick
  • Nick77
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Nick77 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:34 am

noochiegolf wrote:Hi Nick,

well we are about to re launch our campaign. Our product seems to be getting great feedback but we were unsuccessful at our first launch. We lowered our funding goal so not to scare anyone off. If you get a chance could you take a look at it and give me some feedback. http://kck.st/1ov4laA

Hi Jo Ann,
    I'm not really sure what to say about your campaign. I think you did a lot of things "right." It feels genuine to me. If what you're saying about the response you received at the tradeshow is true, then you might have something that could work in the marketplace. I would only ask if anyone placed orders? The proof is always in not the verbal response, but the financial response. If people are willing to exchange money for what you have based on the belief that they can turn around and sell it, then you have something. Until then, it's just a possibility. I'm speaking about the tradeshow/wholesale crowd here….

But back to Kickstarter, perhaps your lack of success your first time out was a result of your marketing. Did you do enough to let people know about it. I can't really say since I don't know what you did to get the word out, but you can never have too much marketing for a new product like this.

Random thoughts: Maybe it was in the video. Many people may have watched the video and simply said, "I don't have kids," and clicked off. This is a real possibility. People have to be able to plug themselves in. This is why you see ads that have people of all colors, male and female. Maybe a recut of the video with a few 25 year olds having fun. Maybe setting up various situations. I can see this being set up at a barbecue, at a kids party, in an office. In a nutshell, perhaps widening your audience might help.

Not sure I helped you but….
    Kickin' it,
    Nick