Do you have to market your project to be successful?
  • Toddy351
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Do you have to market your project to be successful?

by Toddy351 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:31 pm

Hey guys! I am brand new to Kickstarter

I have a project that I will be putting on here in the near future. I've gotten a lot of publicity (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, ETC). Do you have to market in order to make your project successful or can you just put your campaign on Kickstarter and people will find it?

I will be marketing it like crazy, but just wondering if Kickstarter is a site where people just go on and find different projects and fund it?

Thanks for any insight! Looking forward to talking to all you guys.

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Do you have to market your project to be successful?

by sbriggman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:10 pm

Good question.

To give you an idea of the range, in this one forum post, the user reports:
    I am watching at bitly link stats (which I am posting everywhere) and BingAds stats and realize that almost all visitors are not from Kickstarter.
    - source: kickstarter-search-question-t1587.html

Another user reports:

I would say 50/50 the first day and now it is almost all KickStarter. I don't seem to get anything from FaceBook .
    Source: viewtopic.php?t=1562&p=4058

It really depends on the project. Have seen some projects get 80% from Kickstarter, others get only 20%. I'd recommend preparing to drive 1/3 of the initial pledges from your own social networks and professional networks and then marketing the campaign outside of Kickstarter.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • Toddy351
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Toddy351 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Thanks for the advice!
  • jungaworld
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by jungaworld » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:57 am

From my experience YESSSSSS. Annoyingly so. I was totally unprepared (even though I thought I had over-prepared.) And while I think it is essential for most campaigns, (especially those that are creating something that is a totally new concept rather than brining familiar titles back into rotation) I am guessing whatever you are creating you are ultimately going to want to market to the public. It is a great opportunity both learn the marketing skills and develop a larger group of potential brand ambassadors and customers.
  • Peter.and.John
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Peter.and.John » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:51 pm

I would recommend putting as much energy into individual pitches as you do into mass marketing. We're about halfway through out campaign for an upcoming film, and while we're getting the occasional small donation through strangers interested in the project, the bulk of people who will contribute in a major way will come from those lists of family, friends, supporters, etc. who receive personal emails and calls.

I'd estimate a 10%-20% response from personal outreach, a 5%-10% from marketing, and a 1%-3% from stumbleupon good-willing strangers who are into your project.

That said, don't slack on either outreach plan. Cast a net wider than you think you need.