What is your day job? What is your passion project?
  • themadnessgame
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: What is your day job? What is your passion project?

by themadnessgame » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:01 am

Hello.

My day job: I am the General Manager of a extermination company. ( i don't want to do this anymore)
    My business partners day job: He is a telemarketer.

My passion project is and dream job is i want to make table top games for a living. bring friends and families together and get them away from the t.v. screen and mobile devices and put smiles on everyone's face that plays our games.

my business partner and I have been working on our first game for two years and we just put it up on kickstarter last friday. its gone great so far but it needs to continue. Its very exciting i cant wait to share my product with the world.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madness/madness-a-fast-and-fun-card-game-for-2-or-4-player?ref=live

• manderson99
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by manderson99 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Day job: Currently unemployed. In the past I've been a postal REC employee (data entry), a fry cook, a newspaper delivery guy, a warehouse laborer, a guy-who-makes-the-bumper-stickers-and-car-magnets-you-buy-in-SEC-bookstores, a security guard, a convenience store clerk, a pizza delivery guy, a guy-who-makes-PA-lottery-ticket-printers, and a failed entrepreneur (though I aim to change that last one). I might have missed something.

Passion: First on the list is a thermal solar power generator reference design which is intended to be available under something similar to the BSD license. I am not ready to pursue that one in earnest, so there are other projects I pursue to generate income.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:24 pm

@manderson99 - Wow! Quite a variety of job experience. Haha. I feel like failure is looked at very differently when an entrepreneur - you've just gotten one step closer to success (at least in my experience). What other types of entrepreneur endeavors have you done that have failed?

@Tylerbwehr - What type of programming (languages/frameworks)?

So incredibly inspirational to see all the different types of careers, passions, and dreams in this forum thread. If there are any synergies, I urge you guys to reach out to each other via this thread or a PM. :D
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • manderson99
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by manderson99 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:22 pm

sbriggman - I had an unexpected epiphany about eight years ago that lead me to realize that it would be possible to compete with (or complement) conventional tourist/amusement attractions with a properly branded and accommodated facility based around a multi-node, multiplayer video game system.

Because the cost to build was so high, I never did get any investment, and of course I never got to the stage where I was negotiating with Lucas. I dropped the project maybe three months before the housing bubble exploded and nuked a large portion of our economy. Maybe my failure was a blessing in disguise. All in all, it was far too much to ask anyone to invest in a green horn business developer trying to license one of the most valuable movie/TV/video game properties ever. I redacted all the material from my central business plan that was or could have been someone else's IP and released the remnant on theforce.net's forums under a Creative Commons license, where it generated no response. I still harbor a private conceit that someone at Disney noticed that post . . .

edit: shortened for brevity. Here's a link to theforce.net post I made back in '09.
  • EbbandFlowOBX
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by EbbandFlowOBX » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:49 pm

I work in book publishing, but my dream project is to run my own magazine on the outer banks. This is what my kickstarter is for.

http://kck.st/1cT11nf

Interested in hearing peoples thoughts.
  • wcromart03
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by wcromart03 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:14 pm

Hey everyone my name is Walter Cromartie Jr. my day job is truck driving for Lowe's Home Improvement. My passion is storytelling and writing.

I have been telling and writing stories for years. I tried to write books but I'm not a very detailed kind of guy so I figured I would try my hand in comics. Making comics has really been really fun so far. I am currently working on 4 comics as we speak. One of which I am running my Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53 ... dience-com

This is the first comic of many to come. In fact like I said in another post I have over 40 unpublished stories and that number is growing everyday. Seems like I get inspired from everything. Just the other day I came up with a story about a guy with a super powered cyborg arm from carrying something that made my arm tired. Anyway I hope my Kickstarter works but even if don't I guarantee you'll still see my comic, you just won't see it this year.
  • Mbessent1992
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Mbessent1992 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:17 pm

My name is Michael and under the mentor ship of my Boyfriend who has owned a magazine for over 20 years now I have created a publication that focuses on everyday people and families. Every LGBT person is someones niece, nephew, brother, sister, mother, father, uncle, aunt, son, and daughter.

I have already caught the attention of the AMPA ( American Military Partners Association) a national organization that wants to help promote and get this out there. I do not focus on celebrities or the news. Every one of my cover stories are done on everyday people and I only interview everyday people. I sit down with parents who have already gone through that chapter where their children came out to them and I get their story out as a way to help advise parents who struggle with keeping a healthy, happy, and safe relationship with their kids as well as who do not know how to communicate or talk about it. I have done the research and if any one has questions I am more than happy to give my direct number so that way you can have them answered over the phone. This is a for profit company that also is addressing a much needed product and much wanted. I am asking people to donate.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... t-magazine

I lost my job last year and have had the hardest time finding a new one. My uncles company went under and my family lost their house. I had to move up north in order to not be homeless but was only able to stay with family for a short amount of time. I have moved in with my boyfriend in Virginia and I am finally getting back on my feet, but finding a job is so scarce. I am living only off of my SSI ( the one thing I hoped to get off of) I still cant find a job that will allow me to even meet close to my bills much less contribute to household expenses and be able to afford things that I need. My boyfriend and I have had many talks and he is mentoring me on building this business.

I am not a bad person at all and I have no problem telling my story to anyone who has questions. I am an economic example as my family has gone from upper middle class to poverty in only a year. I am now still in school and building a business under my boyfriends mentor ship and am very happy. this business will not only provide me with an income but will also allow me to help those who need it. I am also trying to work with the Forty to None network and get the stories out of the 40% of homeless american youth that are homeless out there in order to show people what is really going on. After College I plan on opening a business that helps the homeless in general get cleaned up, find jobs, and gets them into housing together and give them their life back. I also plan on starting a business to help people consolidate debt that regular loan companies and banks will not do. This business is a big deal and is the beginning of not only me being successful, but also me using my life to make a difference in the lives of others.

Around 80% of the money gained will be for advertising and the other 20 will be strictly for material and distribution.
  • Elijah Perrenoud
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Elijah Perrenoud » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:11 am

@EbbandFlowOBX, wow! You're a book publisher? That's cool. I think you could make the dreams of a lot of people on this thread come true. Wish you all the best in following your dreams, though, bud! :D

As for me, I was a construction worker for a little while, and my dream ever since I was little was to be a writer. I have dabbled, had a few poems published when I was younger, finished a novel but still have to re-write it. There's just something about story-telling that is fundamental to humanity, I think. Logic tells us it shouldn't be important, but it really is. Stories allow us to connect to one another in common experiences, they have the potential to build empathy and move us to action. Yeah, stories are important, I think. That's why I love 'em. So I suppose you might just call writing my day job, since I'm always looking for ways to get it out there.

My passion project is just telling stories, really. Big stories that leave an impact. That's sorta what I'm trying to accomplish in my Kickstarter project. That's also what I like so much about funding platforms like Kickstarter - even the journey to getting the funding itself is a story. I just hope it has a happy ending, lol.
  • EbbandFlowOBX
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by EbbandFlowOBX » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 am

Yes I am a book publisher, but mainly reference and textbooks. I thought about trying to start a publishing company to help unpublished folks. Kind of like American idol for authors. But my passion now is the outer banks of north Carolina. My family and I all want to live there and is the reason I am trying to start my magazine. Combining my publishing background and journalism which I have my degree in. Where is your kickstarter Elijah???
  • Elijah Perrenoud
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Elijah Perrenoud » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:33 am

@EbbandFlowOBX After a few difficulties I decided to put it on Indiegogo instead. It's an online Cyberpunk film about a man whose full-body cybernetics are starting to fail, and as he struggles to find a way to prolong his life he is caught up in a revolution against the very people responsible for his condition.

You can find it here:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/icon ... todos=true