How many are familiar with KickingItForward?
  • offbeatballad
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: How many are familiar with KickingItForward?

by offbeatballad » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:40 pm

I think this is a great idea as it goes along with the crowdfunding community's culture of giving and sharing.

Browse, up-vote, and save crowdfunding projects that interest you.
    http://crowdhub.io/
  • theweirdn8
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by theweirdn8 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:52 pm

sbriggman wrote:Really? Interesting. Can you link me to the article or communication where they said that? Would like to make people aware of it.

Here is a quote I got from a KickStarter staff while going through the approval process:

Kickstarter Staff
    Thu, Jan 2 2014 3:57 PM CST

Hello --

I noticed that your project has joined the Kicking It Forward campaign. While it's great that you're committing to support the Kickstarter community, the Kicking It Forward badge has led to some confusion with backers and other creators. We've been hearing from backers who are unsure what it means, and creators who feel pressured to include it without knowing much about it. People can't tell whether it's an official Kickstarter thing or not.

We don't want to stand in the way of a grassroots effort, but we're concerned this is causing more harm than good. So we're asking everyone who's participating to remove the badges and mentions from their projects and instead include a link to kickingitforward.org among your websites/links in the "About Me" section of your project. That way people can see you're a member of the community without mistaking it for an official Kickstarter program.
  • drlouisechughes
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by drlouisechughes » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:40 am

I am part of kicking it forward but had also heard negative feedback from backers about using it. I certainly will apply the principles of the community butdo not have the page on my project page.
    Funded!!! Electron microscopy artwork http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162 ... endar-2014

Funded!!! Human chromosome jewellery. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162 ... collection
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:37 pm

@theweirdn8 - Could I included the quote from that email in the Kicking it Forward article I wrote? Would like to inform creators that Kickstarter has changed their stance on this (I guess they didn't seem to have a stance before).
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • theweirdn8
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by theweirdn8 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:27 pm

Sure.
  • bradAnderson
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by bradAnderson » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:05 pm

Greetings!!

Any more updates/word on this topic? A friend of mine just wrapped up his campaign about a week ago and had K.I.F. listed on his project. He didn't mention getting any snags for it, only that it really didn't drive him much support from them.

Thanks,
    Brad!!
  • jawdy
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by jawdy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:27 pm

drlouisechughes wrote:I am part of kicking it forward but had also heard negative feedback from backers about using it. I certainly will apply the principles of the community but do not have the page on my project page.

Were the thoughts that the money they were backing should go solely in the project they were backing? Or something else/more? I'd be interested in hearing more thoughts on KIF, as it seems like a relatively soft approach to feeding more money back into other KS projects, mainly because of only taking 5% of profits, which isn't a great deal!

bradAnderson wrote:Greetings!!

Any more updates/word on this topic? A friend of mine just wrapped up his campaign about a week ago and had K.I.F. listed on his project. He didn't mention getting any snags for it, only that it really didn't drive him much support from them.

Thanks,
    Brad!!

Could you ask your friend if he did get any mentions about listing KIF in their project?
  • EnergyBionics
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by EnergyBionics » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:03 pm

Great topic and some really great posts! I'm familiar with KickingItForward and thought the concept was good but I'm not sure it's really necessary. Also, my first thought was how many KS projects actually turn a profit leading to the 5% KickingItForward?

I'm in the middle of a KS campaign and it's uncertain if I will reach my funding goal or not. Regardless, I will continue to back projects for the reasons mentioned in some of the posts. I would hope that others would do the same without having to advertise it.

Thanks!

Sean

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/87 ... ar-charger
    Sean Ebersold
    EnergyBionics
    Our Kickstarter Project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/87 ... ar-charger
  • manderson99
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by manderson99 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:44 pm

As a Brian Fargo game fanboy, I am biased in favor of this campaign. That being said, I can sort of understand some of the negative reaction to it. There is the implication here that, if you aren't "kicking it forward", that you are taking from the community without giving back anything. It also sort of says, "I give back to the community and I brag about it".

Also very interesting that Kickstarter is recommending that the badge not be put on the project page. Hmm. Anyone gotten any feedback from Fargo on that development?

Atlas, I think what you are suggesting is sort of an escrow account. Not a bad idea at all, but you'd have to have someone very solid and reliable to manage something like that. I don't think Mr. Fargo intended to put that much effort into the KiF campaign (hence the introduction of a badge and a site, and little else).

As an aside, I would like to find out how many projects displaying the logo got funded (the same data for those following Kickstarter's recommendations regarding the badge would also be nice) as compared to the normal funding rates.
  • Azrael
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Azrael » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Well I just signed up for this today but now I have become discouraged from using it after reading all of these posts. Especially if it doesn't necessarily help.
    Evading Azrael is a female fronted rock/metal band from St. Louis, MO.
    Check out our project:
    Population Zero (Evading Azrael's First Full-Length Album)