Indie Game Crowfunding Questions
  • harryl
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Indie Game Crowfunding Questions

by harryl » Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:34 am

Hello everyone, I’m Harry, an indie game producer. I previously worked as a writer at a film company, and now I’m organizing a team to develop a text-based adventure indie game. It will be a serious sci-fi game similar to Disco Elysium, and we plan to launch a crowdfunding campaign next year. I’d like to ask everyone for suggestions on crowdfunding strategies for indie games. What features would make supporters choose to back a game?

Hero0fNothing
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Indie Game Crowfunding Questions

by Hero0fNothing » Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:09 pm

Disco Elysium specifically was unique to me because unlike most rpgs it wasn't about combat and the artstyle/aesthetic was great for its theme, depressing. I haven't finished it. Anyway, I'd say an interesting theme with branching paths and one unique aspect to sell it.
    You got this Harry.
  • harryl
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by harryl » Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:48 am

Hero0fNothing wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:09 pm Disco Elysium specifically was unique to me because unlike most rpgs it wasn't about combat and the artstyle/aesthetic was great for its theme, depressing. I haven't finished it. Anyway, I'd say an interesting theme with branching paths and one unique aspect to sell it.
    You got this Harry.
    Hi, thank you for your advice. Nice conclusion. I think that's what interests me as well. May I ask what other games will you be interested in
    Hero0fNothing
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Hero0fNothing » Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:41 pm

check out my kickstarter! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... riage-show

I like co-op games. Turn-based tactical games.
  • jassiet.ross
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by jassiet.ross » Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:44 am

Hey Harry, congrats on starting your indie game journey! It sounds like you’re working on something really cool, especially with a serious sci-fi, text-based adventure. I think crowdfunding can be a fantastic way to build both funding and a community around your game, but it definitely requires careful planning.

Here are some thoughts based on what I’ve seen work in the indie game space:

Engage Early and Build Hype: Start sharing snippets of your game’s world, story, and characters on social media or platforms like Reddit and Twitter early on. Give people a reason to be invested in your project before you launch the crowdfunding campaign. The more personal you can make the story (like sharing the struggles of indie game dev or showing behind-the-scenes progress), the more people will connect with you and your team.

Show, Don’t Tell: Even if it’s a text-based adventure, having some kind of visual representation (concept art, character sketches, or even gameplay demos) can make a big difference. People are more likely to back something they can see in action. A short, polished trailer showcasing the game’s tone or concept will help.

Tiered Rewards: Think about what kind of rewards will resonate with your backers. Beyond just copies of the game, maybe offer things like exclusive in-game items, a soundtrack, digital art books, or even the chance to have their name or likeness in the game. Personalized rewards that make backers feel like they’re part of the development process (like being in on design decisions or getting beta access) can be very appealing.

Clear Roadmap and Goals: Transparency is key. People want to know how their money will be spent and when they can expect the final product. A clear timeline, stretch goals, and regular updates during the campaign will give your backers confidence in your ability to deliver.

Highlight the Unique Aspects: Since you mentioned a serious sci-fi theme similar to Disco Elysium, focus on what sets your game apart. Whether it's the narrative depth, world-building, or unique gameplay mechanics, make sure those elements are front and center in your campaign. Disco Elysium fans, for example, are likely drawn to thoughtful, philosophical dialogue and deep narrative choices, so maybe emphasize how your game will bring those elements to the table.

Leverage Your Background: You come from a film writing background, which gives you a unique edge in terms of storytelling. You can pitch that strength to potential backers—people who love games with great narratives will be more likely to trust that your game will deliver on that front.

Best of luck with the game and the campaign! I’ll definitely keep an eye out for it when it launches.