Where did I go wrong?
  • TheAdventuresOfPablo
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Where did I go wrong?

by TheAdventuresOfPablo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:16 am

Hi there, so I launched my first ever Kickstarter a few days ago, and am already resigned to it not getting funded.

The link is here for reference - tinyurl.com/PabloBooks - they are books with my dog (who is a bit of a social media star) as the protagonist.

So I think the project page and videos are good and work well. The pledges reasonable and attractive. Everything pre-launch was in place. I had an email list with 350 subscribers. My dog has 81,000 insta followers, 35,000 tiktok followers. I did press releases that led to articles in the local press, I did other advertising. My social media posts specifically about the books getting thousands of likes and have a direct call to action and link to pledge. Despite all of the above I am getting no pledges.

I’m not going to spend any more on marketing this project now and throw good money after bad. Am positive about it because I have a good mindset like that, and just want to try and learn lessons.

My thoughts as to the failure are:

- You have to fairly exclusively reach out to backers who are already on Kickstarter .i.e. people are clicking through then can't be bothered to pledge for the books when they realise they have to sign up.

- Kickstarter isn't the best place for books (I know some are very successful but they tend to be again with audiences of previous backers (so series that release one book then add to it) - was this an error? Putting all 8 books up front and not doing 1 for the first Kickstarter?

- Is Kickstarter nowadays more akin to techy/gadget products? (Again books not the way to go - big money tech/gadget products seem to far outstrip any other products).

- Is the economic climate bringing a general downturn in numbers of pledges etc?

Any thoughts much appreciated as to where my Kickstarter went wrong - I don't think I will do any future projects as did a fair bit of marketing on this, threw everything at it, thought I had every angle covered, and still hardly got anything.

Thanks, Robert