Would you solicit help from your "competitors"?
    customglow
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Would you solicit help from your "competitors"?

by customglow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:17 pm

I had a thought, I am trying to create a high end beer pong table called The Infinity Glow and looking around there are a few other tables that would be comparable in price and quality but non on the scale that I am. Would it be wise to reach out to the lower end distributors of "generic" beer pong tables for help getting the word out?

We don't compete on the same level, their products retail for $75-$150 where mine is way over at $475 so would they help if we offer like an affiliate program down the line or is this super risky and they would just steal everything.

• janecui11
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Would you solicit help from your "competitors"?

by janecui11 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to say that this is an amazing concept. You might want to make the video not have those songs though, because kickstarter doesn't allow copyrighted music to be on it.
    customglow
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by customglow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks!
    I was worried about that too - I followed their instructions for using SoundCloud, and this mashup by an independent artist was on there so I picked it out. I received feedback from Kickstarter after I submitted my project and so far no notes on the music. *crosses figures
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:55 pm

I really like the product too. I could see a high-end place having one or in a VIP lounge area.

Well... is there any kind of intellectual property protection on it? The question is what would the motivation be for a larger retailer to help you out with a Kickstarter? What are they getting out of it?

I feel like a generic seller would be more interested in a royalty deal, but I don't have any direct experience in this marketplace to say for sure.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.