PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE AND CHANGING JOBS
  • DianaGibson90oXM
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE AND CHANGING JOBS

by DianaGibson90oXM » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:49 am

I have a query that I hope somebody would be able to answer for experience, even if not with absolute certainty.

I am currently employed by a large multinational and I have been very fortunate that they provide a non-underwritten private medical insurance through BUPA. Both my wife and I are covered.

During the term of the policy, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and we claimed for the treatment: the mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiation. The only thing that remains as part of her treatment is the reconstructive breast surgery, which I know my current corporate policy with BUPA does cover.

However, this operation would be in a year or so, and I am considering changing jobs in the meantime. Aware that the BUPA continuation policy would probably be exorbitantly expensive, I am limiting my choice of future employers to other large multinationals that I know provide a non-underwritten corporate private medical insurance policy.

However, I am somewhat concerned that the reconstructive breast surgery would still not be covered. I am reluctant to bring this up in job negotations, and I would only find out about the details of the policy once I have joined.

Can you please advise me, out of experience, do non-underwritten corporate private medical insurance policies provide cover if one changes them mid-treatment and is the reconstructive surgery considered part of the treatment or is it considered more of a cosmetic surgery?

I know it might be impossible to answer with an absolute certainty unless you know the details of the policy - and indeed, neither do I at this stage. All I know that most employeers seem to be using BUPA, so they will (probably) have my and my wife's details anyway, even if we transfer to another policy. Due to the type of the employers, I know that they would be providing the best corporate policy there is. In the past, in my youth, I have worked for very similar companies and found my old policy documents, which stated 'no exclusions for pre-conditions' and 'non-underwritten'.

If this is not something you could answer, could you please point me to another forum you know where I might ask this?

With best wishes and many thanks,

Ian

• keilecpod
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE AND CHANGING JOBS

by keilecpod » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:52 am

Your employer should provide you with insurance, and if your wife is unemployed she can use yours. But also the amount of money you can claim to cover your costs depends on the insurance provided by any of your employers
    virginuso
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by virginuso » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:15 am

First of all, you need to talk to your new employer and clarify if he provides your insurance under the contract terms. Usually, some minimum insurance is provided in state clinics.
    Secondly, if it still won't be provided or you don't like it, compare different insurance plans in various companies. There are blogs where people leave their reviews, and you can read in which situation which plan may be more profitable.
    I advise you to read this — https://www.remedigap.com/medicare-supplements/medicare-plan-n-vs-plan-g/. This article helped me when choosing a personal insurance plan.
    Thirdly, calculate your budget so that you can pay for insurance monthly.
  • CynthiaLLara
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by CynthiaLLara » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:17 pm

My bike insurance is coming to end and I was searching for an online service, which could help me to get my insurance documents ready. Well, someone gave me the hartford customer service number, I checked the reviews and found this company pretty reliable. As a result, I have got my insurance within 2 days only.
  • Alerases
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Alerases » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:34 am

You did the right thing. I think in this situation it's also worth noting the importance of the car insurance policy because that document is also important today. I usually find out more information about it at driving licence points. That's why there are no risks for me in getting such important documents.
  • JessicaMarshall
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by JessicaMarshall » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:21 pm

Health insurance is one of the important things everyone should do.