How I Got 450% Funded During The Coronavirus/COVID-19 Pandemic
  • simonlyons
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

How I Got 450% Funded During The Coronavirus/COVID-19 Pandemic

by simonlyons » Tue May 05, 2020 3:36 pm

Then
    So the pandemic really started to hit the UK and the US halfway through my first campaign attempt for Geco Hub.

Although I'd love to use the pandemic as an excuse for why things had slowed down considerably with the campaign, the truth is that it had just run out of steam and ground to a crunching halt.

We got off to a great start early on and things were really looking up, I was so excited! But after the hype of the initial week ended, and no press coverage to speak of, the traffic throttled back and the pledges all but dried up *sigh*.

Ultimately, we ended up cancelling about halfway through the planned 35-day campaign with only 1/3 of the funding in the bag. I opted not to go for the 7-day pandemic extension Kickstarter were offering and instead decided to relaunch. I thought that with the way things were going, 7 days really wasn't going to change much.

Now
    Fast-forward 6 weeks and now we're almost 2/3 through our relaunched campaign and currently standing at around 450% funded. So what changed?

In short, just a few things: the goal, shipping pricing and an additional colour option.

We launched the first campaign with a relatively high goal of £35,000. This time, in order to secure early momentum, we dropped this goal to £6,000, with an internal goal of £22,000 (having worked out ways to reduce the amount we actually needed to raise).

With this lower goal in place, and the backers from the first attempt ready and waiting for launch, we were able to reach our stated goal in under 8 hours, and go on to reach our internal goal about 2 weeks into the campaign. The other changes we made - lowering shipping slightly and offering two colour options instead of one - led to an improvement to the conversion rate, meaning pledges have been coming in more steadily.

Ironically, looking at the way things are going, we're trending towards raising (or maybe, just maybe, exceeding) our original funding goal of £35,000 by our deadline in 10 days time.

Isn't this strategy risky?
    I used to think that launching with a stated funding goal lower than you needed, and having a higher internal goal you actually need to raise, was a risky endeavour... after all, you don't want to get stuck having to fulfil pledges when you don't have enough money!

The truth is though, even if you reach your funding goal, you can at any time opt to cancel your campaign before the deadline.

Kickstarter didn't use to work like this, I remember campaigns launching with lofty goals and working for weeks to reach them. Nowadays though, it seems the best strategy is to launch with a low, achievable goal, fund quickly to build early momentum, and then work to overfund and reach your internal goal later in the campaign.

What do you think? Do you agree? Disagree? Did you find this useful? Let me know.

_____

The campaign I mentioned is for Geco Hub, versatile wall-mounted storage which can hold your belongings 5 different ways. Click here to check it out - https://bit.ly/2WtUusD

4 x Creator and Backer.
    Geco Hub - adaptable storage for everyday things - is 450% funded and live now - https://bit.ly/2zYPZid
    Elivy
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: How I Got 450% Funded During The Coronavirus/COVID-19 Pandemic

by Elivy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:48 am

Great story! I love that you've taken the risk after all. I didn't even know it was an option to just go.... let's start over again.

I've heard from marketers that KS is favouring the project that has been backed within 48 hours. By this logic, yes, you have to be quite humble in the start.
    billiejewel
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by billiejewel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:02 pm

I'm glad that it worked out for you! However, I would be so anxious about setting a goal lower than I needed to fulfill the project.
  • Alerases
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Alerases » Tue May 25, 2021 8:56 am

For some businessmen, the covid was very profitable; for some, it was a crisis. It's excellent that you could get out of such a situation and make money in such difficult times. In any case, the covid has changed a lot around the world. Many people are now doing covid tests because it is a necessity for everybody. If I were to use such an opportunity, I would choose https://www.confirmbiosciences.com/covid19-sars-antigen-rapid-swab-test/. It is fast, easy enough, and does not require a lot of financial resources to carry out this idea
  • Els
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Els » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:23 pm

Not a bad idea to start with a lower amount, maybe it looks more 'realistic' that way too...