Has your Kickstarter experience been positive or negative?
  • Meiravhaber
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Has your Kickstarter experience been positive or negative?

by Meiravhaber » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:14 am

Positive but A LOT of work!
    I am a stop-motion filmmaker and this is my third kickstarter campaign. My first two stop-motion films on kickstarter funded. I would love any and all feedback, and please do anything you feel comfortable doing to support, even if it’s just helping to spread the word. I would really appreciate it! And happy to answer any questions!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... /soulstice

• FanBooksGaming
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by FanBooksGaming » Fri May 07, 2021 6:59 pm

sbriggman wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:47 pm Hi Sal,

Great questions!

I have ran 7 Kickstarter campaigns over the years and am about to embark on an eighth! The seventh was my first boardgame Kickstarter which, after one failure due to the 1sy UK lockdown, was successful a few months ago. Huzzah! The eighth I plan to run in June is the first expansion pack for that game.

- Have you learned any new skills (marketing/social media)?
    Every project teaches me something new. The last one taught me so much as it was a very different animal to my previous campaigns that had mainly concentrated on funding our annual SF/Fantasy/Gaming event and not producing an actual board game. Biggest takeaway skills wise from this last one? Keep the faith right up until the last minute and don't be tempted to cancel your funding unless that's part of your financial strategy from the get go.
    - Have you gotten any backers you don't know?
    Yes, it was wonderful to see backers coming on board who initially were friends and friends of friends but then blossomed into the wider gaming community. As ours is an introductory level board game meant as a recruitment tool into the hobby, we attracted lots of parents who wanted the game to teach their children about the hidden complexities of even the most simple mechanics.
    - What has been frustrating?
    The mid-funder lull. It's always there, it's always frustrating and the voices in your head that tell you that you'll never succeed seem to be magnified by this ever present quiet period. My advice? Keep posting and updating and staying excited about all the awesome things about your project as though you're in a room of a hundred different potential new backers every day. Keep the energy up but be sincere, nothing says 'burnout' like a tired host telling the same stories in ever increasingly tired tones!
    - How did you motivate yourself daily?
    I decided to run a 60 day campaign to give folks the opportunity to save from a couple of pay cheques if they wanted to. What that meant was that I had to keep myself motivated, hydrated and energised for 60 straight days. It was exhausting! What helped, because we were locked down in the UK three days after we went live ... sigh ... was the fact that my game is both solo and up to 5 players so even if the rest of the family were busy, I could still do live play throughs while babbling away to myself about the future of the gaming system we've created (the Storm system, based on simple, 6-sided dice), and future expansion plans, which really seemed to excite people. We also asked for and then played live on stream people's homebrew scenarios, using the game system and board pieces, which also worked rather well.
    - Are you planning on starting a business if your Kickstarter goes well?
    My business has been book publishing since 2012 (Fantastic Books Publishing) but we only opened our gaming division when we saw the disparity between the games most folks play once or twice a year with their families and the tens of thousands of amazing games in the more complex, wider tabletop gaming arena. I wanted to create a gateway game, a stepping stone into that world, that would be fun for not only kids but for adults like me who were intimidated by very thick, impenetrable rule books or hours of character creation. That's why I rolled out Fantastic Books Gaming.
    - What tools or websites do you recommend (others than this one haha)?
    I fell for many paid services that came to nothing, but would suggest the professional marketing services for offer through Fiverr, particularly those who offer to write and distribute press releases for around the £200 mark, We got a lot of traction for the Gorgon's Loch through that. Facebook ads are ok, as are Twitter promoted tweets, but it's mainly about connecting with your audience not on a macro level but on a person to person 'have you seen this, would you mind checking out my new system/game/idea, I'd appreciate it?' level. Sounds kinda cheesy but most of our backers I've ended up having conversations with personally and in some cases they've helped me fine tune and polish the game too.
  • FanBooksGaming
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by FanBooksGaming » Fri May 07, 2021 7:04 pm

sbriggman wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:47 pm Hi Sal,

Great questions!

In answer to the subject question, definitely a mixture of both, but in my view that's kinda what Kickstarter is about. It's a red hot cauldron of awesome folks, hypercritical types, fans, haters, buyers, retailers, etc. and they all want to know whay you;re taking up screen time.

I have ran 7 successful Kickstarter campaigns over the years and am about to embark on an eighth! The seventh was my first boardgame Kickstarter which, after one failure due to the 1st UK lockdown, was successful a few months ago. Huzzah! The eighth I plan to run in June is the first expansion pack for that game.

- Have you learned any new skills (marketing/social media)?
    Every project teaches me something new. The last one taught me so much as it was a very different animal to my previous campaigns that had mainly concentrated on funding our annual SF/Fantasy/Gaming event and not producing an actual board game. Biggest takeaway skills wise from this last one? Keep the faith right up until the last minute and don't be tempted to cancel your funding unless that's part of your financial strategy from the get go.
    - Have you gotten any backers you don't know?
    Yes, it was wonderful to see backers coming on board who initially were friends and friends of friends but then blossomed into the wider gaming community. As ours is an introductory level board game meant as a recruitment tool into the hobby, we attracted lots of parents who wanted the game to teach their children about the hidden complexities of even the most simple mechanics.
    - What has been frustrating?
    The mid-funder lull. It's always there, it's always frustrating and the voices in your head that tell you that you'll never succeed seem to be magnified by this ever present quiet period. My advice? Keep posting and updating and staying excited about all the awesome things about your project as though you're in a room of a hundred different potential new backers every day. Keep the energy up but be sincere, nothing says 'burnout' like a tired host telling the same stories in ever increasingly tired tones!
    - How did you motivate yourself daily?
    I decided to run a 60 day campaign to give folks the opportunity to save from a couple of pay cheques if they wanted to. What that meant was that I had to keep myself motivated, hydrated and energised for 60 straight days. It was exhausting! What helped, because we were locked down in the UK three days after we went live ... sigh ... was the fact that my game is both solo and up to 5 players so even if the rest of the family were busy, I could still do live play throughs while babbling away to myself about the future of the gaming system we've created (the Storm system, based on simple, 6-sided dice), and future expansion plans, which really seemed to excite people. We also asked for and then played live on stream people's homebrew scenarios, using the game system and board pieces, which also worked rather well.
    - Are you planning on starting a business if your Kickstarter goes well?
    My business has been book publishing since 2012 (Fantastic Books Publishing) but we only opened our gaming division when we saw the disparity between the games most folks play once or twice a year with their families (I don't need to name 'em, right?) and the tens of thousands of amazing games in the more complex, wider tabletop gaming arena. I wanted to create a gateway game, a stepping stone into that world, that would be fun for not only kids but for adults like me who were intimidated by very thick, impenetrable rule books or hours of character creation. That's why I rolled out Fantastic Books Gaming.
    - What tools or websites do you recommend (others than this one haha)?
    I fell for many paid services that came to nothing, but would suggest the professional marketing services for offer through Fiverr, particularly those who offer to write and distribute press releases for around the £200 mark, We got a lot of traction for the Gorgon's Loch through that. Facebook ads are ok, as are Twitter promoted tweets, but it's mainly about connecting with your audience not on a macro level but on a person to person 'have you seen this, would you mind checking out my new system/game/idea, I'd appreciate it?' level. Sounds kinda cheesy but most of our backers I've ended up having conversations with personally and in some cases they've helped me fine tune and polish the game too.
    mat_mathilde
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by mat_mathilde » Sat May 08, 2021 12:45 pm

I am only in the first week of my 1st kickstarter campaign, but so far, quite positive !

I absolutely HATE asking my family and friends for money and help, but I guess it is what it is. However, it's such a pleasure to feel so supported by my loved ones ! I was surprised so many people from my family supported me and helped my on this short film. Even if, for some of them, I hadn't see them in years !!

It is indeed a lot of work, but I feel like I'm learning good skills especially since I want to work in the film industry, being able to raise money is such a massive skill to have.
    Pour mon fils : A short film about buying, owning and love : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... g-and-love
    deedavid09
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by deedavid09 » Sun May 23, 2021 12:02 pm

Hello! I just launched my kickstarter named 'Home & Spaces designing made easy'. Here is the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/do ... ref=rffspb

Its a design tool to help people design their homes but also spaces such as wedding venues, birthdays and even corporate events. Allowing people to get 2D floor plans and 3D designs in just few minutes with no prior knowledge required. Also proving them with inventory and cost estimation for their homes and spaces design so they can plan ahead and plan within budget.

Please check our project and hopefully support by backing us. Looking forward to also learning about your projects and how we can assist each other.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doreensteven/home-and-space-designing-made-easy?ref=rffspb
  • FrancisHPowell
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by FrancisHPowell » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:59 pm

I think not particularly either. It is strssful making sure the page is set up properly. It takes a lot work promoting it. There are moments when you are stuck on a certain amount of pledges and the campaign seems to have come to a grinding halt
  • janirafi
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by janirafi » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi Salvador,
    Here is my next project for the kitchen knives set please take look and give me feedback about that.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ib ... en%20knife
  • Els
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Els » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:34 pm

A mix for me. I have 12 days to go: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/93 ... reator_nav and still have more then 7000 euros to reach my goal. I must say I was really surprised by the amazing support and help from Kickstarter to get my project launched. They were really helpful in making sure I included what needed to be included. When you launch for the first time it is a bit challenging, I feel, specially without a professional support team. I guess overall Kickstarter is a great experience but if I am completely honest I am a little bit disappointed that I haven't reached my goal yet, which everyone would be, I guess. And at this point I don't really know anymore what else to do: I did the social media postings, the newsletter, the ads and tried to reach out to people to share my project. It is mostly like I feel disappointed for my project, like I am letting her down, if that makes sense? Like, I love my business and what I am doing step by step and I love my products so I wish everyone would discover it and fall in love with it as I am, you know. Anyways, keeping the faith in my beautiful project. :)
  • WaterApp
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by WaterApp » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:17 pm

I would like to introduce an app that will assist people to choose best water when they travel to another place.
    The app will suggest the water that is most similar to the one that is consumed at home.

With this project we will help people with kidney problems that need to avoid certain minerals, mothers with babies/children that are interested for particular minerals, athletes, diabetics etc....

Next stage would be to develop recommendations where tap water is safe for drinking or not and also make association of all bottled water producers, in which main subject would be introduction of eco friendly packaging.

Please visit:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wa ... rals-guide
  • mol.ly
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by mol.ly » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:05 pm

Hi everyone, I'm almost a week into my first KS campaign and have had trouble tapping into the existing backer/superbacker community. Our product is a pet accessory, but could also appeal to those who want to keep outdoor spaces clean from dog waste. We have not seen great results from backer newsletter services (NewBacker & Backerland), and are limited to our personal (friends & family) networks.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/at ... tta-pouch/

Any advice on reaching a niche audience without a large marketing/paid media budget?