New Art Collaboration Kickstarter
  • Lulu Lin
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

New Art Collaboration Kickstarter

by Lulu Lin » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:02 am

Hi! I am part of an art duo called Lulu Lin. We paint Pop Surrealist pieces in tandem and are using Kickstarter to raise funds to complete our current series, Fluid Dynamics.
    My painting partner and I were really excited about creating a wide and diverse range of pledge incentives, but after a week with only about 1 or 2 pledges in most fields I'm getting concerned that the amount of choices are turning people off of donating. Do you think it's that or something else?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... eries-by-l

Pop Surrealist Paintings by Art Duo Lulu Lin
    My Kickstarter
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: New Art Collaboration Kickstarter

by sbriggman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Love your art! Personally, I love being able to choose rewards. I wish the $5 and $10 tier were not random pieces of art but that I could specify which painting I wanted as a button. Out of curiosity, why did you decide to put the buttons at the lower tier instead of the postcards?

I would also market your reward tiers individually. For example, the $200 tier is obviously going to appeal to people that are close to you. Could you advertise this class in the paper at all?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • InfiniteHorizonsUly
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by InfiniteHorizonsUly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:36 pm

From one artist to another I wanted to let the both of you know how amazing your work is! Also, your working style is awesome! Don't know if the shots were for promotion or not, but creating art is very lonely, very cool you work together at the same time!

I think there is really nothing wrong with your tiers. Although I agree with Sal, being able to pick would have been nice on the lower priced tiers.

Your work is stunning and you are in a great position in regards to funding. Congrats on creating such amazing work and a great campaign!!
    If you would like to see my art, then visit my tiny node on the web, click>>> www.starsongsandmoondreams.com
  • Lulu Lin
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Lulu Lin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:05 pm

The reason we didn't make the buttons custom was that if we got too little or too many orders we felt like it would be time and cost prohibitive to make sure that everyone got a specific unique button. We offer custom options at a higher tier, but please understand that we can't do that for all tiers.

With that being said, we DO really want to make our supporters happy. At the end of the campaign we will be sending out a survey for people to finalize their selections and our supporters are welcome to ask for specific art pieces. We will try our best to accommodate their requests, but don't want to guarantee anything officially in the event that it is time/cost prohibitive.

@ sbrigg: it was a bit random. We thought that buttons would appeal to a younger crowd, which were the most likely candidates who would pledge at the lower tiers (could be totally off on that assumption). Since we had so many different options and image combinations, we decided to keep the lower tiers simpler by offering the postcards as a set of 4 (supporters choose between which series to get postcards from). This would offer supporters more selection, while still making it manageable for us to keep track of all orders.
    Obviously it seems a bit silly if all together we only have 30 supporters, but we thought it would make sense if we somehow got 300.

@Infinite: Thanks! The shots were mostly taken from our standard process videos. Part of what we're using the funds for is to get a dedicated camera to record our process. We have already posted several preview and full length process videos on our Kickstarter/Youtube accounts. If you're a backer you will get automatic updates on when we're posting them throughout our campaign (and in the future if you wish).
    My Kickstarter
  • InfiniteHorizonsUly
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by InfiniteHorizonsUly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:47 am

I want to back, but personal funds are tight (I underestimated shipping costs by a huge margin--I also spend way too long at the post office. If you have yet to do so, set up an online account at www.usps.com and have your packages picked up) so I hit the Remind Me tab so I can back you the final 48.

I love the idea of filming your work! Many originals take me up to a year to complete. I want to film myself inking a project and use the speed painting (about 7 months of inking condensed into 2.5 minutes) video as my project video.

I love how we live in a time in which artists can share the actual creation of their work. There are so many ways to showcase the process and turn it into what can be viewed as a performance!
    If you would like to see my art, then visit my tiny node on the web, click>>> www.starsongsandmoondreams.com
  • Lulu Lin
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Lulu Lin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:39 am

Wow! Thanks so much for the shipping advice.
    My Kickstarter
  • InfiniteHorizonsUly
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by InfiniteHorizonsUly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:03 am

If I can save another creator from post office Hell, then I have served my purpose on this planet!!