3 Negative Realities My Kickstarter Campaign Revealed to Me
  • Simon3
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: 3 Negative Realities My Kickstarter Campaign Revealed to Me

by Simon3 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi, sorry to read about your disappoint regards the lack of support from family and friends but I think that is quite common if they're not interested in comics, when asking money to people, even to family and friends the response could be negative, however they could at least spread the word about your project

vertfromage
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by vertfromage » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:13 pm

I've been fortunate with my family and friends. I'm going to launch my kickstarter this week and many of them have committed to getting onto kickstarter and pledging at the 1$ level, some have already expressed a willingness to pledge more.

I think the most important thing to get family and friends on board is to explain that it's not about you asking them for money, it's about them helping with "social proof" the phenomenon that keeps people from getting on board until they see others getting on board. I've explained to my family and friends that this is something that really matters to me because of how much time and effort went into it, but the thing that really helped get them to agree that they'd show up for me is when I explained the concept of social proof and how it affects kickstarter campaigns.

It's like a light went on and they understood that their participation could make a 'real' difference in the outcome. I think a lot of normal people who've never learned anything about marketing assume that an idea/product will succeed/fail based on the quality of the idea/product and don't realize how many other factors are involved.

Afterthought, here's my kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... h-dungeons
    It's a mobile math flashcard game that I made using the game engine Phaser3.
  • Meiravhaber
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Meiravhaber » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:26 am

Hi! I found this post very relatable! It can be disheartening at times when your hard work falls flat on people who care about you or they don't have time, but don't take it personally. I also found that many people I never even met discovered my projects and supported and I appreciated the love because I knew they weren't doing me any favors and just did it for the love of the art- the ultimate compliment. I've launched two successful projects on kickstarter and have just launched my third stop-motion film called "Soulstice" in collaboration with Portland artist JR Slattum and New Mexico film producer Javier Lovato. I would love any and all feedback, and please do anything you feel comfortable doing to support, even if it’s just helping to spread the word. I will really appreciate it!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... =user_menu
  • acrocomics
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by acrocomics » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:00 pm

Hi Zelphacomics,

I know I'm way late to replying to your post but I just recently joined this forum. I completely understand where you are coming from! I am on my second Kickstarter campaign for my series Miserably Altered and I feel like I'm not getting as much support that I thought I would from my friends and family.

I started my Miserably Altered Series in 2019. Launched my first Kickstarter in 2020. My second one is currently running. Even though many of my friends and family said they would support it they ended up not and when I would mention the project around them, they would just say, "Oh yeah, I still have to back it." But then they don't.

So I have been depending on many others for funding instead. I hope you are continuing your series! I will continue to do mine as well and hope that my campaigns are successful!
  • acrocomics
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by acrocomics » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:01 pm

If anyone would like to check out my Kickstarter Campaign, please feel free to do so! Here is the link: http://kck.st/3uGQe9q

Your feedback is much appreciated!
  • Kickstartermig
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Kickstartermig » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:32 pm

This is really interesting to read. We have not had that many trolls on our campaign page, but we have had a LOT on our paid social ads. They are constant!

I think it is because our product is slightly disruptive in that it is a very different take on the standard construction of the supplement shaker. The more serious gym goers tend to take issue with it!

Our campaign for FORME Shaker is HERE > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fo ... ent-shaker
    mat_mathilde
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by mat_mathilde » Sat May 08, 2021 1:11 pm

I do get the disappointement of people when their close family and friends do not contribute, however, I find it personally hard to expect people to give money.
    It's not because a friend doesn't give me some money for my kickstarter project that they are not my friend. I always understand the choice of not giving money (even if you can, your money, your choice).
    And sometimes, you can also get nice surprises ! For example, a friend that I haven't seen for a few years donated and I was so grateful. People all have a different relationship with money
    Pour mon fils : A short film about buying, owning and love : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... g-and-love
  • ajalgames
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ajalgames » Sun May 09, 2021 8:01 pm

Thanks for sharing your insights. This is our first campaign and is funny how relatable your story is. So happy to read that you are close to your goal. I think this is the perfect example that reaching your goals involves a lot of resilience and understand that not everybody in your inner circle will be there as you thought. Cheers!
  • Laughter_in_the_rain
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Laughter_in_the_rain » Mon May 10, 2021 5:04 pm

It is hard when your closest friends do not help you, but I guess we cannot pretend everyone to engage with our project!
    I have a live project at the moment and my negative experience is more with the platform itself than my own crowd...it seams I am not getting any visibility on Kickstarter, no organic traffic from the platform and I am very grateful for all my followers help who are basically the only people pledging for me so far 😅
    deedavid09
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by deedavid09 » Sun May 23, 2021 12:12 pm

Thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge which are really helpful for first time kickstarters like myself. I just launched my kickstarter named 'Home & Spaces designing made easy'. Here is the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doreensteven/home-and-space-designing-made-easy?ref=rffspb

I will really appreciate your support by backing my campaign and would love to get some insights from you on how I could improve it.