• pixeom
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

A new project I have been working on

by pixeom » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Pixeom Exchange Network
    Pixeom Exchange Network
    logo.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
    Hi everyone, my name is Sam. It’s a pleasure to meet you all.

I am stopping by these forums to let you know about a project I have been working on, called Pixeom. I think many of you would find it interesting, and I would be very interested to hear your feedback on it.
    Yes, it’s a Kickstarter, and yes it would mean the world to me if you pledged to it, but that is not the primary reason I am here. Since this is a Kickstarter forum, I wanted to reach out to the community here and talk to you more about your thoughts on my project.

The link is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixeom/pixeom-the-personal-exchange-device

I want to build a company around this personal cloud device that provides more utility than just accessing your files, with an emphasis on privacy. The device also grows as one large storage pool instead of storage islands that you need to manage. It is currently powered by a Raspberry Pi and OpenStack.

What I was hoping to hear more about from you guys is not only if a product like this would appeal to you, but also more about how you currently manage your personal data. Do you guys prefer paying for a Dropbox subscription? Or are you ok with managing multiple external hard drives?

Thanks guys, I look forward to your responses!

Sam
    Attachments
    Pixeom X1
    Pixeom X1
    device.jpg (70.87 KiB) Viewed 1463 times

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: A new project I have been working on

by sbriggman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:03 pm

"What I was hoping to hear more about from you guys is not only if a product like this would appeal to you, but also more about how you currently manage your personal data. Do you guys prefer paying for a Dropbox subscription? Or are you ok with managing multiple external hard drives?"

My answer:
    1. I keep files that need to be secure on a USB drive and/or physical copies.
    2. I use dropbox for literally all of my files. There are no files on my computer. I also use evernote and google docs. I keep track of employee hours pretty easily with google docs. Used to use Basecamp to manage projects, now I use Asana.
    3. I used to use an external hard drive, but now I can just keep all my files on dropbox, pay a decently low rate (which I can expense) and access my files everywhere. I considered paying for google drive, but I like the dropbox interface and UX better.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • pixeom
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by pixeom » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Thank you for your insight. You might find this article interesting - http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/05/pixeom/
    Blackcherry
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Blackcherry » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:45 am

have you found that similar projects on Kickstarter have found success? It does seem t be a more media based funding service in the past I've found
  • themusicchamber
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by themusicchamber » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Can we create a kickstarter campaign for any business or there are some specific categories that only can be created? I want to create one for internet based business, is it possible?
  • xtether
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by xtether » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:47 pm

very unique project, I wish you luck!
  • pixeom
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by pixeom » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:20 pm

themusicchamber wrote:Can we create a kickstarter campaign for any business or there are some specific categories that only can be created? I want to create one for internet based business, is it possible?

Art
    Comics
    Dance
    Design
    Fashion
    Film & Video
    Food
    Games
    Music
    Photography
    Publishing
    Technology
    Theater

It is important that your project has a creative appeal for the backers. And you might want to consider Technology as the right category for your product. All the best for your venture!

Sam
  • pixeom
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by pixeom » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:22 pm

xtether wrote:very unique project, I wish you luck!

Thank you for your kind words and hope you consider supporting us on kickstarter as well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixeom/pixeom-the-personal-exchange-device

:)
    Sam
  • SilentKnight111
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by SilentKnight111 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:35 pm

Wow. This is a really cool project. It's definitely something I'd be interested in, and you did an excellent job with the video.

Congratulations on reaching your goal!
    Illustrator and Writer
    The Freethinker's Book of Fables - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... -of-fables
  • BryantFrancis
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by BryantFrancis » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:50 pm

This looks cool! I use Dropbox and Hard Drives for different projects, since I work in media. I'd rather use cloud storage to get everything around, but I'm largely concerned with security and privacy in those services.