looking for insights on crowdfunding software projects
  • digloo
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

looking for insights on crowdfunding software projects

by digloo » Mon May 14, 2018 7:31 am

New guy on the block here, and my first post. I'm looking for insights into crowdfunding software projects. Seems they don't do well, in general. Does anybody know why?

I have something that's envisioned as a mobile app that connects to a back-end server (my own) and offers something well-known and yet quite unique from other offerings.

It's intended to implement a recurring revenue model, mainly because there are already over a dozen subscription-based offerings in this niche and most are doing well. (It's a 30-40 y.o. niche.)

I have built a prototype that runs in Windows, and I want to raise funds to build the mobile version and the back-end.

I'm thinking of running a crowdfunding campaign to accomplish two things:

1) build an initial base of users (VIP / Charter members); and

2) get an initial group of people who will generate content (vocal and musical material) that will be used in the final product.

So the perks will be discounted VIP / Charter memberships as well as exposure (think "ads") at a relatively low, one-time cost.

Sponsors will also get regular deliveries of content created with the prototype software until the mobile version of the software has been created. (I don't plan to sell or distribute the prototype code.)

This business model is probably a little different than most, and I'm looking for your thoughts on what I've described so far.

(I'm avoid talking about what the software is or does because I really want to have a discussion about the business model, which I suspect is why software projects might not do well -- ie, they have a poor business model, like crowdfunding an open source software project that's essentially shareware.)

• digloo
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: looking for insights on crowdfunding software projects

by digloo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Any and all thoughts are welcome! Surely somebody has something to share...