What is wrong with my Kickstarter project??
  • Reflo
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

What is wrong with my Kickstarter project??

by Reflo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:47 pm

What is wrong with my Kickstarter project? Pricing too high, too low? Wrong content, not enough?

I've had 350 video plays and only 14 backers! Actually we had the 14 almost immediately. We soft launched over the weekend and got them all on day one. Been tweeting our butts off, facebooking, etc. emailed 1500 contacts today (mostly previous customers of a different but not entirely dissimilar product). Today also was the day that 7 different Fiverr promos took place (used Fiverr gigs to get word out).

So... here we are with still 14 backers. I'm wracking my brain and think I need some ugly, honest feedback from others who have done this.

Here's my project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/87 ... ref=2oyqf7

• Reflo
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: What is wrong with my Kickstarter project??

by Reflo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Am I the only one that sees the irony in the fact that 30 people have viewed this post and not one person has commented? lol
  • Reflo
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Reflo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 pm

I've added a few more good quality pics. I do really wish some of you would offer your opinions though.
  • Skystar
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Skystar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Beautifully designed presentation page, but tons wrong with this campaign.

- I don't see a new type cup being very appealing.
    - Video - excellent production values but not effective. I guess it's the best you can do with such a mundane product.
    - Funding goal way too high, esp for an all-or-nothing campaign. This campaign should have been on an IGG Flex format at $5,000.
    - Price of cups too high. Perceived value - $5.95
    - Not big on your perks - nothing innovative.

Your pitch page really is first-class. Find a great little product that's an improved version of a successful campaign that the market has validated, and offer that instead of coming up with a completely new product. 'Emulate don't innovate'

Evidence available from the first campaign provides lots of benefits:

- Unbiased feedback, reviews and market data
    - Validation of the product's value.
    - Identifiable media promotion and interest
    - Testimonials and endorsements
    - List of previous buyers
    - Proof of the product's appeal
    - Investor interest
    - Leads
    - Revenue

Hope this helps,

Earl
  • Reflo
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Reflo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Skystar,

Thanks! I asked for brutally honest and that's what you gave me, lol.

Let me ask for a little clarification.

You think the presentation is good?
    You think the product itself boring?

I know the funding amount is high. It's probably a third of the actual cost to do this. And we hope to accomplish a few things, namely to ensure there is enough interest before we move forward with such an endeavor.

I would disagree with your perceived value. You would find no insulated travel mugs for that price, even of a fair quality. You would definitely find none made in the USA.

As for mundane, I think the unique aspect of this cup is that it solves the persistent issue with all other cups.... they are messy or complicated... sometimes both. I don't need to convince you of this, particularly, but I need to convey that to enough potential buyers. I am not sure if I am doing so well enough.

You also mentioned boring rewards. Could you give me an idea of something interesting? catchy? in that regard. What would excite you?

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your feedback.
  • Skystar
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Skystar » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful responses to my critique of your ReFlo campaign. First may I say most responses to requests for 'feedback' are worthless. 'Very nice', 'Good luck', and 'Awesome' just don't make it. When you need, solid, bark-off, candid, constructive criticism it needs to be honest and straightforward, or it's just not helpful.

You asked:

>"You think the presentation is good?'

* Yes, clear, clean, good graphics, simply to understand, appealing.

>"You think the product itself boring?'

* Yes, a spill proof cup is a solution in search of a problem.

1. Your $95k funding goal is only "one-third of the cost to do this"

* It's going to cost $285 k to get this cup produced?

2. You "hope to ensure there is enough interest before we move forward with such an endeavor."

* * The great thing about a crowdfunding campaign is the authentic, empirical evidence provided by the market. This isn't feedback from opinion polls, focus groups or surveys, it's what the market thinks about the product. Backers validate the campaign and product with their money and commitment - or not.

3. "I would disagree with your perceived value" (of $5.95)

* Wal Mart has a travel mug called the "Ozark Trail 20-Ounce Double-Wall, Vacuum-Sealed Tumbler" for $6.74" http://bit.ly/2IwVuVd A $5 - $7 price point is my perceived value.

4. "You also mentioned boring rewards. Could you give me an idea of something interesting?"

* Your rewards are too much your travel mug. I suggest promoting the travel idea and perhaps offering something that does - "27 Travel Gadgets That Are Too Cool to Resist" http://bit.ly/2u0UjKi

Read this article: "10 Lessons I Learned From Burning Through $50,000 on a Hardware Project That Bombed" http://bit.ly/1JPjGfH Scroll down to "Lessons I learned." Very revealing.

We've all had projects that didn't go. I wrote a 118 page eBook called 'Importing Village Treasures' - "Make big money importing beautiful, handcrafted products from artisans and craftspeople in little villages and towns all over the world" http://bit.ly/2FSmPQ9
    that had great reviews http://bit.ly/2pkm6ko but it didn't sell. What did I do? Forgot about it and moved on - the market said 'Not interested'!

I suggest you take a hard look at your ReFlo project - it might be a labor of love rather than a hard-headed business decision. In any even I wish you the best!
  • Reflo
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Reflo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:26 am

Hi Skystar,

I also give very blunt advice and I appreciate it more than anything. I'll bet we'd get along like peas and carrots.

You are absolutely correct. People will naturally give accolades for a project, idea, etc.... but the proof truly comes when people put their money where their mouth is.

Yes, the cost is high. Tooling alone is in excess of 100k. Kickstarter fees will total about 10% and shipping charges will account for about 30-40% of our total sales on this campaign. Then, of course, there is the cost of actual production and assembly.

I am thinking if this does not fund, we will relaunch but with the intent to produce in China. Costs will be much lower. Once again, people want "Made in America" but they don't want to pay for it.

This week we will be launching on Gadget Flow. Hopefully that spurs some excitement.

I still don't think I got much clarity out of you on how the rewards could be better. I did think about adding some Keurig assortments in with some rewards as they seem to go with the concept. However, I don't know if that is all that exciting.

I guess we will see what the follow weeks provide.
    Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Cristina » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:50 am

This post has been moved to the General Chat + Introduce Yourself section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman
  • Misterlg
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Misterlg » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 pm

When having a quick look at it (less than 30 seconds), these are the things that I notice straight away.

- Project funding goal is way too high. Will never make it, so why pledge?
    - Unclear what the product is about when I look at the video thumbnail
    - Looking at the description/photos..... still unclear
    - pricing look alright

In my opinion, its just a travel mug and nothing special that could possibly raise 95,000 usd (!). If this is only 33% of your production costs then I would cancel it right away, with all the respect. sorry man
    My first ever Kickstarter... Feedback is much appreciated! :)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/32 ... ical-coins
  • Reflo
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Reflo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi Misterlg,

Thanks, man, I much appreciate it.

I understand you only looked very briefly... while I do think the page does explain everything, I'm not perfectly sure if it does so effectively and summarily.

Also, I agree that the amount is too ambitious, in hindsight. I should have went with 10k and let the momentum carry itself to the needed goal. I'd still have the option to cancel if it didn't get there.

I am already reserved to the fact that we will have to relaunch this with some changes. I think the new one will be set at 10k. We will offer to make in the US if we hit a high enough goal... otherwise it will have to be China. I think we will add a real world test video that displays how effectively our cup works. We can't move forward at 10k if we only raise that but then I still have the ability to cancel prior to the end.

Also, we ran a couple half-hearted campaigns earlier on for other things that I hate those being on our "record"... so I might start a new account to come in with a clean slate.