**PIGGY BLOX** - soft launch
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: **PIGGY BLOX** - soft launch

by Jonathan08 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:56 am

Yes, I'm basically ready to go with the project, my final price is a little on the high side but I think I will try it anyway. I might actually start by making them in plastic first, that would bring the price down....

They really are a cool looking, I have the three prototypes I made here in my room and everytime I see them I think wow, those look so cool! I'm actually using one right now for all my pennies and it works great! I would prefer the premium look of metal but the plastic prototypes work great also.

Yes ofcourse I want to run the campaign, I've done quite a bit of work contacting blogs etc. building lists of appropriate websites to send press kits too. I've setup a preview page on KS for people to look over. I've set up a landing page (the link is below) and linked that to a mail chimp list which has been running for a while but no bites. I need help with building up that e-mail list....

I also need help with:
    1. Making better prototypes
    2. Tips and advise on how to setup my page
    3. Tips on making a video

Backertree
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Backertree » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:07 am

Jonathan08 wrote:Yes, I'm basically ready to go with the project, my final price is a little on the high side but I think I will try it anyway. I might actually start by making them in plastic first, that would bring the price down....

They really are a cool looking, I have the three prototypes I made here in my room and everytime I see them I think wow, those look so cool! I'm actually using one right now for all my pennies and it works great! I would prefer the premium look of metal but the plastic prototypes work great also.

Yes ofcourse I want to run the campaign, I've done quite a bit of work contacting blogs etc. building lists of appropriate websites to send press kits too. I've setup a preview page on KS for people to look over. I've set up a landing page (the link is below) and linked that to a mail chimp list which has been running for a while but no bites. I need help with building up that e-mail list....

I also need help with:
    1. Making better prototypes
    2. Tips and advise on how to setup my page
    3. Tips on making a video

Hey, no worries Jonathan! Feel free to reply to my pm if you would like my help with the crowdfunding aspects that you have listed above. I am always available to chat :)

Best Regards,

Jake
    Team Backertree!
    Submit Your Crowdfunding Press Release And Promote Your Project: http://backerpress.com/submit/
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:08 am

Ok, I appreciate it, I've replied to your message. Looking forward to chatting.
    rozebuds
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by rozebuds » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi Jonathan, I think it's a great concept. My girlfriend is always going about saving for 1 thing or the other. Love the simplicity of the solution - and it's a whole lot better than our glass jar. I'd also be interested in it for a learning tool for my kids on the value of saving. Best of luck with it.
    Adrian
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:23 pm

Rozebuds,

Ok, thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Can you go here, http://thecoin8oy.wix.com/piggyblox, and sign up to my mailing list so I can keep you posted on the progress?

What do you think you'd be comfortable paying for the product? in metal and in plastic?
    rozebuds
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by rozebuds » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:37 am

hmmm... Pricing is always a tough decision. The product does solve a problem, but it's a nice-to-have as opposed to necessity. Having not done any comps it's hard to say. But I'll take a swag... I don't think you could charge more than $15 - $20 for the plastic. Of course metal more. Is this in the range you were thinking?
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback, that's about the price points I was thinking. The big problem is, after all costs are tallied, I'm no where near that for either plastic or metal. I think it will almost be a matter of taking a hit for the first campaign, just to get the ball rolling and the molds made.
    rozebuds
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by rozebuds » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:07 am

When you say that the costs are nowhere near that, are you considering variable costs only or the initial set up for molds etc? The initial set up shouldn't necessarily factor in to your long term decision if the sell price is sufficiently above the variable cost.
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:09 am

To calculate final cost of the product I've included the mold & tooling cost because obviously it has to be paid somehow. All the other misc. costs like shipping, packaging, tax & duties, KS fee's, no show percentage etc. basically add up drastically... but I don't really care because I think for my first campaign I'm not really going to aim for profit anyway... if I can get the molds paid for and create buzz then I can expect profit from sales post KS :)
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Well, some good news, I looked at the numbers again and I was able to get the final price down to about 25$US for the plastic Piggy Blox! That would be about the best I could do.