Our New Kickstarter Has Launched But Have Questions...
  • Jchetzel
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Our New Kickstarter Has Launched But Have Questions...

by Jchetzel » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:54 am

I am very excited about the prospect of my Children's Plush Fox & Book coming to life to help kids transition from home to school in the early years but am also very nervous. While I have tried reaching out to all friends and family and already have 700 people that I have contacted in 1 way or another in the past 24 hours I only have 8 backers so far.

Questions for those of you who have run successful campaigns.
    1 - I hear mixed reviews or these paid site promoters. Anyone have a positive experience
    2 - Do you think that people who view you kickstarted and didn't contribute may go back later and do so or do you feel either they do it the 1st time or that don't.
    3- Has anyone had a large amount come from a backer they don't know.

Thanks so much and please check out my Kickstarter campaign for THE SCHOOL SCOUT FOX

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... h-and-book

hyperstarter
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Our New Kickstarter Has Launched But Have Questions...

by hyperstarter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:51 am

Hi, Wow you've reached out to 700 people?

The thing is, how did you reach out to them? Did you build a friendship/relationship with them > then pitch your campaign. Or did you just send them a copy and pasted description and link?

Regarding the points you made:
    1 - It can work out. There's mixed reviews but it depends on your niche and who you're targeting. For example, I personally wouldn't buy an email or newsletter blast just because a site has alot of people watching it. If they're not the right audience, then you're wasting money in the hope that someone will back you.
    2 - I think usually the first 24 is when you get the most publicity on KS. Then people either know your link or find it with searches based on your keywords from my experience.
    3 - I've seen this, but only when a campaign was popular. If you've got many backers > it all "kicks in" and you'll get more shares and writeups...which in turn *should* lead to more backers. It's just getting to that stage which is the hardest.

--

I've checked out your page. I'll be honest with you - your campaign page needs *alot* of work before you start think about buying adverts. So if the companies you're connecting with for promotion aren't mentioning this, then I think it'll be a problem.

The first thing is, you've no images to connect with the audience. Think about how the majority of your audience are scanning pages quickly or using their phones.

The only fox item is the graphic in the video, then a whole chunk of text which isn't easy to read either.

So that led me onto the video (which I never usually check but in this case I had to). I really think you shouldn't be posting a 4min+ video, again due to attention spans.
    - The quality should be much better and recording on a phone is a no-no (because you're asking for alot of money & it's a quality product, so my feeling is the video should be HQ too).
    - The dialog is too scripted too and you look nervous. It comes across in the video.

The main thing is where's the fox? If you've done development, text and sketches...where is it? I think potential backers want to see it, even if it's at the rough stage. Again it's something they can connect with - using their eyes, rather being told to visualise in their mind from your words.

Good luck with it. If you revise your campaign page, let me know as I'd like to help as the idea sounds cool (although I wouldn't limit it for just school, it could just be a normal plushie, mascot or a collectible).
    Promote your campaign today with Hyperstarter & use our free tool to identify Kickstarter page problems & fixes: https://www.hyperstarter.com/about